Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PAULJ
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Tool hire

Post by PAULJ »

Hi all, does anyone have or know where I can rent borrow a ridge reamer 3”- 5” please. Loads for penny’s in th US but about £100 new here.
Thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Tool hire

Post by philthehill »

I would respectfully advise that if you need a cylinder bore ridge remover it is time for a re-bore.

Phil

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Agree with Phil. But an alternative we used to employ, when fitting a new piston (or rings) after a mishap, was a stepped top ring. Likely have to make your own these days!
PAULJ
Minor Fan

Post by PAULJ »

philthehill wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:34 pm I would respectfully advise that if you need a cylinder bore ridge remover it is time for a re-bore.

Phil
Hi Phil, The step is not excessive. I have pulled one piston out without damage. However there is a step which I want to remove before fitting new rings. If as you say if there is a step it needs a rebore why does such a tool exist ?
Should also say this is an MGB engine not an A engine.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

If you know what you're doing, an engineers scraper could be used to remove the ridge, I would say, the tool you mention along with these other measures are there to put off a rebore for a while!

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Removing the ridge at the top of the bore does not bring the cylinder bore back to correct size whether the bore is standard or at a re-bored size. Also it does not bring the bore walls back to parallel from top to bottom.

Most wear takes place at the top of the bore within the piston ring swept track.

All that a ridge remover does is to allow you to put a new same size piston and rings into the worn bore without the possibility of the top ring hitting the ridge and breaking.

The tool exists as a quick fix/short term measure to alleviate the costs of a re-bore but its use is not a panacea for worn bores.

Fitting new rings with a stepped top ring is another way of overcoming the need to use a ridge remover.

As a rough guide if you can run your nail up the bore and it is stopped by the ridge - a re-bore is required.

The only way to accurately determine bore wear is to measure the bore at several points up and down the bore and at 90 degrees to the piston pin and compare with the original manufactures specification.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Cylin ... :rk:9:pf:0

Phil

PAULJ
Minor Fan

Post by PAULJ »

Thanks Phil. Agree with all you have said however funds are limited at the moment so quick fix it is. Having hot done anything to the engine I’m replacing I thought I’d treat the replacement with new rings and shells. The tool in the link is exactly what I’m after but at £100 for a tool I’ll use once is the reason for the post. The engine is for my camper moggy which poodles around at 50 mph at 2500 revs. I’m quit convinced I don’t need to work to the tollarances you work to. As a rule I’m happy with a ince either way !!!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

However you decide to deal with the step, it would pay to at least glaze bust the bores before you install new rings. You can buy an emery flap disc for an electric drill for this purpose which should do a reasonable job if you don't want the expense of a more professional procedure.