Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
spike_esq
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Flaring Tool for Copper Rivets

Post by spike_esq »

PLEASE CAN YOU HELP.

I removed two riveted channels from each of the window frames om my 1949 low light before having all the components re-chromed. The channels were riveted to the window frames and I drilled them out for removal. Now comes the time to replace the channels onto the frames. I'm trying to source and purchase the correct solid truss headed tubular copper rivets for this purpose which will then be set by the flaring method. I wondered if anyone reading this topic would have or have access to a suitable flaring tool for the copper rivets needed. The rivet shank is 1/8 inch diameter. This is not a new requirement and must have been done often over the years but I just cannot find anyone with the tools to perform this work. Please put your thinking caps on and feedback any thoughts/ suggestions or otherwise. Many thanks and we welcome your feedback. Regards....spike
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Re: Flaring Tool for Copper Rivets

Post by RobThomas »

LAS Aero sell them.
Cardiff, UK
spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Post by spike_esq »

Hi Rob, Many thanks for the reply. I will speak with LAS Aero on Monday to identify the specific rivet set. However just looking at their suitable products the tubular rivet sets these are £30 + VAT and delivery. Since this is single use situation for only 26 rivets I'm sure the readers understand that I would rather borrow a suitable tool if at all possible. Please keep sending your feedback if you can help. If all else fails then I have no option but to buy. The positive from this solution is that the flare tooling rivet set will be made available to others. First let me see if any readers have this tooling. Welcome any feedback. Many thanks. Regards....spike
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Cardiff, UK
spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Post by spike_esq »

Dear readers,

Greetings. I just need to advise that all the riveting is now complete and the once detached chrome channels have been reattached to the window frame vertical channels. All good in fact excellent. For your information the kind gent Richard Wood at Sapphire Products Limited came to my rescue and not only did he supply the rivets having calculated the correct shank length for flaring he kindly loaned me the correct flaring tool. Hey presto job done....happy days. These guys know the meaning of service. So all out there please kindly remember this company Sapphire Products of Ashby de la Zouch. End of commercial.
Thanks for following this saga,
Regards,
Harry.