Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

seatbelt mountings on a 1963 traveller

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Hi people. Can anyone give advice? If you look at the photos below, you will see the wood cappings have 2 holes in them. the top one has a threaded nut behind it. There is nothing behind th hole in the centre of the wood. In the photo with the wood removed, you will see an identicle threaded nut at the bottom of the picture . Were these semaphore related? I thought post 1961, the anchor points ahd to be built in tom the cars at production stage although not compulsory fitted seatbelts until 1964?
Finally,can I use the top threaded nut (seems a bit high) for for the seatbelt? I haven't checked the floor yet for anchor points.
Thanks
Sorry for the sideways photos but they are on my pc in an upright position!
Attachments
20190322_092821.jpg
20190322_092821.jpg (3.35 MiB) Viewed 1531 times
20190322_092911.jpg
20190322_092911.jpg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 1531 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: seatbelt mountings on a 1963 traveller

Post by ManyMinors »

The seatbelt mountings your car has are correct for that age of car. They were first fitted that way in 1961 when the Traveller was still fitted with semaphore indicators hence the two positions - one a bit too high to be ideal and one a bit too low! The 4door saloon had a similar arrangement. When the semaphores were deleted BMC saved a few pennies by altering just the outer panel and retaining the inner panel. Seatbelts, as you know, were an optional extra anyway so the wood inner cappings were not drilled unless seatbelts were specified. It was not for a few years that the inner panel was altered and a mid-position seatbelt mounting was fitted making seatbelt wearing a bit more comfortable.
I imagine that your wood capping has come from such a car at some point. With a bit of fabrication, it would be possible to fit a mounting in that position on your car. I have seen Minors like yours where the seatbelt is fitted to a steel bar which itself is attached to the 2 mountings. That way, the seatbelt itself is attached in a better position halfway up the bar.
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Hi ManyMinors. Thanks for the info and sorry for not replying sooner.
What you say makes sense and is reassuring. I've since bought 2 x 1inch grommets to plug the centre holes for now.
Just as a matter of interest, If I were to use the top threaded mounting, I see advertised a buckle type device which clips over the belts. This has the effect of pulling the belt away from the neck. I wonder if that could be used instead of welding in plates to suit the middle hole?

here's the link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autmor-Adjuste ... 9430&psc=1
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Those devices might work. I have no experience of them but they are only a fiver so perhaps worth a try :)
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

You're right morrisminor.the cost is minimal so worth a punt. I' m buying the belts soon so I'll buy a set of these unless someone comes along and says they don't wofk.
Thanks for your reply.