Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Interior mirror

Post by Stevearniepalmer »

A bit of advice needed please.
Ive just bought a new rear view mirror as my one was absolutely knackered.Ive removed the three screws that attaches the old mirror but the new one I've bought only has two holes but they are further apart.
Ive attached it with one screw and it looks solid but my question is how do I make a hole for the other screw?
Sorry if this sounds daft .
simmitc

Re: Interior mirror

Post by simmitc »

Another example of new parts being sold that are not what they claim, and a comaplint to the supplier should be made.

Assuming that you can't get the correct mirror, use a centre punch through the spare hole so that you make a small dent in the screen frame.. Now use a 1/8 drill to create the hole. Ensure that you drill only far enough to cut through the frame, do not go any further in case there are any wires lurking there. Enlarge the hole using progressively larger drills until the hole is the correct size to take the screw. Don;t go too large, it's better to be slightly undersized and use a self-tapping screw to cut the thread.
Stevearniepalmer
Minor Friendly

Post by Stevearniepalmer »

Many thanks for the reply.
The mirror is just a standard interior rear view mirror for a 4 door 1967 Morris.
I've looked on all the usual websites and they all say not in stock.
The one I bought looks great but I do agree with you that it should either have holes in the same place or come with instructions of what to do for twits like me .
Many thanks again
Steve
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver90owner »

simmitc wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:25 pm Another example of new parts being sold that are not what they claim, and a comaplint to the supplier should be made.

Assuming that you can't get the correct mirror, use a centre punch through the spare hole so that you make a small dent in the screen frame.. Now use a 1/8 drill to create the hole. Ensure that you drill only far enough to cut through the frame, do not go any further in case there are any wires lurking there. Enlarge the hole using progressively larger drills until the hole is the correct size to take the screw. Don;t go too large, it's better to be slightly undersized and use a self-tapping screw to cut the thread.
The alternative is to drill a new hole in the new mirror leg, using the old one for marking the position of the new hole. The choice may be limited to Simmitcs option due to the mirror construction.

Most interior mirrors, these days are securely glued to the screen, so no screw holes needed. Just another option...
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

I bought a lovely interior mirror that was chrome and I had to drill a different hole to make it fit.
Much nicer than the original. :)
Morris Minors..... such fun :D