Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
niftyrodman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Hand brake lever now too long

Post by niftyrodman »

Fitting the rib cage box into an early split screen, brings up a " minor" problem. I can probably live with it, but as the shift position of the box is way back, when the hand brake is off, it sits pretty close to the gear lever, and it has to be there unless I modify the Hand brake cable, and sit lever back 6 " Any suggestions. I will probably live with it and keep the brake up a couple of notches.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Hand brake lever now too long

Post by myoldjalopy »

Asuming you have utilised the Minor 1000 transmission tunnel, then as you suggest, move the handbrake lever position back - or fit the later 1000 type handbrake lever.
niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

Ive decided to get a welding mob to shorten it 70 mills. I like the style of the early handbrake lever. Thanks for suggestions.I could do it myself except it wouldn't be as tidy.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I would have been tempted to modify the box to retain the original gear lever, thus avoiding the need to modify the handbrake lever. I did this when I fitted a 948 engine and box to my Series II a few years back. It’s a little trickier with a rib case box, but has been done and is documented on here and on A30 sites. Keeps the car looking more original, if that’s your thing!
niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

Gee, I love your work. I never looked into that possibility. Had no idea it could be done. Anway, in hindsight I still think that what Ive done would remain. Ive bough a screw rivetting set and a later floor. Cut it out like factory, looks neat, so Im happy, however I would like to see your car/s. This originality bug is powerful eh?
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I sold my Series II with the conversion to 948 box ( relatively straightforward) some years ago, but I can remember what I did. The conversion to 1098 box keeping the long gear-lever is more tricky, but another member did this write up a while back:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=60666&p=559424&hil ... ox#p559424

Appearance wise, all in the car looks just as original. If you’ve got some time, take a look for other posts using the search faciy :D
niftyrodman
Minor Fan

Post by niftyrodman »

IMG_2686.JPG
IMG_2686.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 1857 times
Shortened 70mm so as not to tangle with the rib cage gear change. Looks much better than a later lever I think. Didn't cut the control shaft until I threaded it down and chopped the end off. Works fine.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Very neat job!

Too many Minors so little time.....