Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Carpets

Post by CaliTrav »

Hi All,

new to the forums as the custodian of a 1971 Traveller. Has been looked after over the years and only required a bit of welding, some electrical gremlins and a service to pass its MOT!

Having sorted an issue with the fuel sender, my next big job is fitting a carpet set. Does anyone have any advice for doing this? It looks straightforward but I'm planning for it not being and thought I'd seek out some experience...

There are a couple of specific questions for me...

1. I need to source, or make, some bungs to go into the floorpan ie the gearbox filling access. Or do people not bother and just carpet over it?

2. The centre tunnel area over the gearbox etc, could really do with being removable easily - so adhesive isn't great, since I'm planning in the fullness of time to take the engine and gearbox out to do some more indepth work aside from access to the filling point. Has anyone pop-rivetted or similar to make this possible, or do folks just leave that bit loose?

Thanks in advance!

Tom
simmitc

Re: Carpets

Post by simmitc »

Welcome. Firstly, as you've got a 18971 Traveller, it will have been built at Adderley Park. Please search for that term to see posts from Pommreg who is seeking info on those cars as part of research that will benefit all. Now to your questions...

The rubber bungs or grommets are readily available from the usual parts suppliers. For example: https://www.morrisminorspares.com/gearb ... er-p830835. Definitely worth fitting. I'd do the gearbox filler area, the steering rack greasing nipple area and the master cylinder area. Whilst you're fiddling, it might be a good idea to fit a new gearstick gaitor too as the carpet goes under that and the screws can be a pain to line up with the holes.

Full carpet sets are available in a choice of colours from the normal parts suppliers, or Newton Commercial will make you a set in other colours too. The advantage of a ready made set is that the mat pieces at least should be fully edged when you buy them - check the spec as edging does stop fraying.

The sill and wheel arch pieces ar stuck down, the mat parts (including the gearbox cover) are either loose or secured with poppers - a stud is screwed to the floor and a ring fitting crimped to the carpet.

If you use soundproofing under the carpet, then that can be stuck down, but leave the screws in the gearbox cover exposed to allow for future removal.

For perfection, a neater edge is gained by removing the sill cover plates (or at least loosening the bolts and screws) so that the carpet goes under the edge of the cover plate, but that is not essential. Metal square ring securing the gearstick gaitor should be above the carpet. Handbrake cables can go under or through the carpet, depending on personal preference. Seatbelt bolts go through the carpet, make holes as required. Some carpet sets require you to cut the hole for the dipswitch, some come ready cut.

Opinions on best fitting methods can vary, so read all advice and decide what suits you.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

simmitc wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:53 pm Metal square ring securing the gearstick gaitor should be above the carpet.
Strictly speaking, on a 1971 Traveller, the original carpet was fitted OVER the gearstick gaitor and fixing ring which were fitted first. The way you describe is correct for earlier cars. Late cars had a one-piece front carpet with a square hole which fitted around the rubber gaitor.
Doesn't really matter which way you do it but if details are important to you......
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The problem is that the factory was not always consistent. My 1971 Traveller with known history in one family before me had a limeflower carpet set that was one piece covering both the front footwells but a separate piece for the gearbox cover, and the metal ring was on top. The family is certain that it had never been removed since it came out of the dealer. No, I can't explain it, only report it.

Slightly off-topic, but there's always a danger of saying how it "should" be, like people who say wheels should be silver even though a photo taken at time of delivery shows them as OEW. Look at concours cars where roughly half have the heater pipes with the flow in the top hole and the others have it in the bottom; or a conversation with a factory hand who said that if they ran out of one colour trim then they simply used another, regardless of what the spec said. Traveller posts were "always" solid, except when they were laminated... At least we both agree that the owner should do it whichever way they prefer. :wink:
CaliTrav
Minor Friendly

Post by CaliTrav »

Thanks for the replies chaps. Appreciated.

I'll definitely be using underfelt so will make sure to cut that around any access points.

If folks leave the centre loose with no issues then I'll try it and see how it looks/feels. Worst case I can look at pop fastening which doesn't look too difficult. Might not be technically 'correct' but if fitted over the carpet the gearstick gaiter will secure it to a small extent if I do it that way.

Thanks for the tip re. Adderley Park. I had a quick read of the posts and will send over what information I have.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

simmitc wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:53 pm Welcome. Firstly, as you've got a 18971 Traveller, it will have been built at Adderley Park. Please search for that term to see posts from Pommreg who is seeking info on those cars as part of research that will benefit all. Now to your questions...

The rubber bungs or grommets are readily available from the usual parts suppliers. For example: https://www.morrisminorspares.com/gearb ... er-p830835. Definitely worth fitting. I'd do the gearbox filler area, the steering rack greasing nipple area and the master cylinder area. Whilst you're fiddling, it might be a good idea to fit a new gearstick gaitor too as the carpet goes under that and the screws can be a pain to line up with the holes.

Full carpet sets are available in a choice of colours from the normal parts suppliers, or Newton Commercial will make you a set in other colours too. The advantage of a ready made set is that the mat pieces at least should be fully edged when you buy them - check the spec as edging does stop fraying.

The sill and wheel arch pieces ar stuck down, the mat parts (including the gearbox cover) are either loose or secured with poppers - a stud is screwed to the floor and a ring fitting crimped to the carpet.

If you use soundproofing under the carpet, then that can be stuck down, but leave the screws in the gearbox cover exposed to allow for future removal.

For perfection, a neater edge is gained by removing the sill cover plates (or at least loosening the bolts and screws) so that the carpet goes under the edge of the cover plate, but that is not essential. Metal square ring securing the gearstick gaitor should be above the carpet. Handbrake cables can go under or through the carpet, depending on personal preference. Seatbelt bolts go through the carpet, make holes as required. Some carpet sets require you to cut the hole for the dipswitch, some come ready cut.

Opinions on best fitting methods can vary, so read all advice and decide what suits you.
I have Newton Commercial carpets in my car and I hate them. They are a miserable quality more like thin felt rather than carpet. Some of my mates have them and none of us are happy with them. They will be coming out as soon as I can source something better.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
P1020328_1.JPG
P1020328_1.JPG (273.51 KiB) Viewed 1868 times

Regards
Declan
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Got to agree with you Declan, I saw a Minor at Gaydon which had the original carpet in the centre around the handbrake and although threadbare and faded it was clearly of much better pile and feel than the modern ones wherever they come from. Like you, I would pay a premium for a better product. If you find one. let us all know, otherwise it might be a case of a bespoke item cut to a template.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I would advise against sticking down any under felt to the Morris Minor floor.
If water gets into the footwells it will be absorbed and held by the under felt which will lead to rusting
Footwell carpet and under felt needs to be removable.

Simmitc
18971 Traveller - must be a time traveller. :wink: