Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cadetchris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

a minor identity crisis

Post by cadetchris »

my new minor is having a bit of an identity crisis.
Alice was first registered in April 1963 and having consulted the Potteries Branch site about dating a moggy, i have come to the conclusion that she isnt quite right.
The original reg date indicated that Alice is a series 5, so a late 1000 and should have the smaller singe clear side lights (L488) and the smaller rear lights (L549).
But, its got the later two colour side lights, as well as the larger rear light.

So i am stumped but ive figured out how to attach photos, so hopefully they will help
Attachments
rear light
rear light
YMnkpShdS%qC3dkpBpiOwQ.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 1518 times
front end
front end
front end.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 1518 times
simmitc

Re: a minor identity crisis

Post by simmitc »

Nothing unusual or to worry about. She could be a "Transitional" Minor, produced when they were switching to the new parts, but using up the old ones. There is a specific Register for such vehicles. OR a previous owner has fitted later wings/lights as part of either a resotration or an upgrade, or even repairing accident damage.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

After all these years, very few Minors still have all their original features. Your car was probably originally supplied with flashing red brakelights as indicators which are not very visible in todays traffic. Also, as already said, the wings are almost bound to have been changed, so a previous owner has probably taken the opportunity to fit the later lights.
Your car does have the "clap hands" wiper layout of an early 1963 car so I would have reason to doubt that it IS indeed a perfectly correct car but with later indicators fitted :)
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Slightly ‘off topic’ but I have a BSA Starfire made during the death throes of the company . It has many ‘ non standard ‘ parts as they were obviously using up whatever was on the shelf . Makes it interesting !!!!!
cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

I do suspect the wings have been changed at some point, so looking at it logically it would make sense to change over to a the newer light.