Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mattyguk1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Roof sound deadening adhesive?

Post by mattyguk1 »

Hi all, I’m in the process of replacing the headlining and need to replace the insulation above it first. Previously it’s been stuck up with bitumen but what’s recommended now? I’m worried if I use the wrong adhesive it may come loose in the summer when the roof gets hot, any advise on adhesive type would be appreciated....
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Roof sound deadening adhesive?

Post by les »

I used adhesive from Harrison Trimming, in West Kingsdown, Kent. It’s made for the job.

Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Post by Steve Phillips »

If you Google "vehicle upholstery supplies" you will get lots of suppliers come up,
Personally I always use William marston Ltd, and boyriven, both have knowledge on what they are selling, which can be invaluable,

If your near to Harrison trimming "kent" they are a good bunch but not sure if they do mail order,

Another option would be to use something like dynamat or similar, it's self adhesive and is an excellent sound proofing, most body shop suppliers will have one version or another,
Dynamat is probably the dearest option and I've had good results from other (cheaper) versions,
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

I bought a tin of this and have been very impressed.

https://www.waysideadhesives.com/produc ... -brushable

Used it to glue a headlining back into position over the rear screen body flange when I replaced the screen rubber. The headlining is under great tension here and I had to stretch it. Clamped in place overnight it stuck beautifully.
mattyguk1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by mattyguk1 »

Thanks chaps, what is the preferred material to stick back up? It was like a horse hair matting?
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

I replaced mine with foam underlay , stuck with Evostick , seems to do the job fine bearing in mind the Moggie is a tin box , and we all know how tin boxes feel in Summer and Winter.

John :wink:
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

I used Silent Oat product on the inside of my Van body, and it has drastically reduced the noise element. Not cheap, but will never come off.
John