948 clutch which is best?

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nerlanane
MMOC Member: No

948 clutch which is best?

Post by Nerlanane »

Any input appreciated. I getting ready to change the clutch in my car and was wondering where others got them from and which is better B&B or Q&H? I know B&B is original but moss' pricing seems a bit steep compared to the Q&H alternative. Does anyone know of cheaper sources? mini mania and VB seem about as high.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 948 clutch which is best?

Post by philthehill »

Most pressure plates can be re-used unless they are scored.
Personally I would use the pressure plate you have and a good quality driven plate.

Here is a suitable clutch driven plate:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Borg-and-Bec ... Sw0ileOEhp

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I too would rather put my trust in that new/old stock original clutch than anything you can buy newly manufactured at the moment......
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Be sure to save the worn parts for reconditioning. There is a shortage of replacements for certain classic cars because the worn units are being thrown away.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I have a couple of 948 pressure plates (need a wipe off with thinners - sprayed them to stop them rusting) / engine back plates that are sat around idle, I may even have a 948 flywheel or two, though I will have to double check that.
I would happily donate them to anyone that needs them for their restoration for the cost of postage, or they could pick them up from me at the National.
Best wishes,
Mike.
DSCF3041(1).JPG
DSCF3041(1).JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 903 times
DSCF3043(1).JPG
DSCF3043(1).JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 903 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)