Larger capacity fuel tank ( Saloon )

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Larger capacity fuel tank ( Saloon )

Post by jagnut66 »

Just make sure you still have a good metal to metal contact from tank to body shell so that the gauge still works.... :wink:
Thanks Berni.
I could always run an earth wire if needs must.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:01 pm
Just make sure you still have a good metal to metal contact from tank to body shell so that the gauge still works.... :wink:
Thanks Berni.
I could always run an earth wire if needs must.
Best wishes,
Mike.
So long as you ensure at least 1 bolt has a clean 'thread to thread' contact and bare metal under the bolt head to the body, you should be fine.
Basil the 1955 series II

Propshaft
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Propshaft »

Hi jagnut. I use glazing mastic which comes in a roll it's about 3/4," wide and 1/8 " thick good for bedding the gearbox cover as well available from any glass merchants
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I use glazing mastic which comes in a roll it's about 3/4," wide and 1/8 " thick good for bedding the gearbox cover as well available from any glass merchants
That is interesting and Byron Glass is very near me.
Probably less messy than a tube of mastic too.
I shall enquire.
Many thanks,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
As an update, the original petrol tank is now out.
I am pleased to say it came out really easily, I simply gave the screws a soak in Plusgas first and had no issues as a result.
The aperture in which it sits is sound and solid, so no welded repairs are needed to the boot floor! :D :D
It even still had the old gasket attached and paint underneath. :D
I'm just hoping now that I can maneuver the replacement (larger capacity) tank in as easily as I managed to get the old smaller one out..........

As an aside, apart from being small, the original petrol tank is in good order.
There was even very little crud in the bottom of it when I drained the fuel out prior to removal.
So it will go on my 'Free to whoever needs it' pile of spares at the national.
I shall label it up as an original early series 2 tank of 5.5 litre capacity, I believe that is correct but feel free to correct me.
(Fingers crossed we're allowed to have a national this year......)
Best wishes,
Mike.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Mike

5.5Litre?

John ;-)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Mike

5.5Litre?

John ;-)
Sorry, I meant 5.5 gallons, as the original 803 engined series 2 petrol tank capacity.

You're right John, 5.5 litres wouldn't get you very far at all, even with an asthmatic 803 fittedl! :wink: :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I'm not sure that Byron Glass is currently open for business, so I have bought this online:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-PERFORM ... 2749.l2649
It looks like it will do the job and is even grey in colour, so will match the car.
Best wishes,
Mike.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Mike, how did you get on with this mastic tape? I’m ready to carry out a petrol tank replacement too. Just got the fuel pipe to disconnect now and it’s good to come out.

I was pondering the same sealant question. Must admit, never have metal to metal contact a thought...glad someone highlighted that.

John
jagnut66 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:55 am Hi,
I'm not sure that Byron Glass is currently open for business, so I have bought this online:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-PERFORM ... 2749.l2649
It looks like it will do the job and is even grey in colour, so will match the car.
Best wishes,
Mike.
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi John,
I've refurbished the boot now and it is ready for the new tank but I won't be refitting it just yet.
However the roll of mastic has arrived and it looks like it will do the job well, when the time comes to refit the tank.
Best wishes,
Mike.
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Sounds good. Hope it goes well when the time comes. Let us know how you get on with it.

John
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Let us know how you get on with it.
Hi,
Well I am now fitting my replacement (larger capacity) fuel tank into Sally my Series 2. Everything was ready (so I thought.....), so I applied the mastic tape around the outer edge of the aperture.....
1. Sealant around outer edge.JPG
1. Sealant around outer edge.JPG (718.67 KiB) Viewed 1805 times
2. Detail of sealant around outer edge.JPG
2. Detail of sealant around outer edge.JPG (785.21 KiB) Viewed 1805 times
3. Sealant with protecting cover strip removed.JPG
3. Sealant with protecting cover strip removed.JPG (490.86 KiB) Viewed 1805 times
4. Edge ready for tank...... or so I thought.......JPG
4. Edge ready for tank...... or so I thought.......JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1805 times
So far so good, the mastic tape joins to itself together well, so no need to worry about gaps. It is also very sticky and stretchy...........
As I found out when I tried to sit the tank in place, it stuck to the tank as I **tried** to insert it into its aperture, wouldn't come off easily and stretched all out of shape, so much so that I had to remove it and start again.
This time with the mastic in place under the lip on the tank itself, a much better idea, one I should have realised was a better method of approach allot sooner..... Doh! :roll:
5. Revised positioning of sealant.JPG
5. Revised positioning of sealant.JPG (916.1 KiB) Viewed 1805 times

Now I've done this and with the properties I mentioned above, I am happy the sealant (correctly positioned :roll: :wink: ) will do its job well.
Earlier I used the word **tried**, I wonder how many realised where I might be going with that one............
You guessed it, the new tank didn't want to go into the hole the orignal tank came out of. I could see that 'persuasion' would be futile, so broke out the grinder and flap discs, took some metal off each corner. Now it slips in and out easily.
Just a little repainting then and it will be time to see if the screw holes line up..........
To be continued......
Best wishes,
Mike.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
The screw holes lined up fine, however the thickness of the sealant meant that the old screws were no longer long enough (they were rusty anyway), so I purchased some longer self tappers and screwed the new tank down. They look way too long now it's all tightened up but I see no point in unscrewing them and then having to source some shorter ones, it's not like they're in the way of anything under there.
NB: I haven't screwed one screw fully home, as it is used to fix the small retaining clip for the wire to the sender, I simply screwed it halfway for now, to locate it in it's hole and so I could give it and the clip a blast of Clarendon.
The sealant itself was and is still tacky and pliable. In my opinion it has done the job well and I shall now be deploying some more of it when I rehang my front wings, to seal between them and the inner wings.

I may also use some on the gearbox tunnel cover, what do others think?
Best wishes,
Mike.
6. Sealant squeezing out to fill in the gaps.JPG
6. Sealant squeezing out to fill in the gaps.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1777 times
7. New tank in place.JPG
7. New tank in place.JPG (1.36 MiB) Viewed 1777 times