Larger capacity fuel tank ( Saloon )

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Larger capacity fuel tank ( Saloon )

Post by Sleeper »

Am I dreaming, or did I recently see a post about a larger capacity fuel tank that allows the spare to be fitted in the usual place... ( apart from mine... )

Have searched for 20 minutes plus..

Thanks
John ;-)
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Re: Larger capacity fuel tank ( Saloon )

Post by paul 300358 »

Have a look through ESM's news letters, I'm sure that they had started selling them.

Edit:https://www.morrisminorspares.com/fuel- ... p-p1238190
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Paul
Many thanks, that's the one but none in stock at the moment , being powder-coated...

Thanks
John ;-)

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/fuel- ... p-p1238190
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Did they say what the capacity is?
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Nope :-? , the listing just says high capacity....

John ;-)
Sleeper
Minor Legend

Post by Sleeper »

Just been on to the phone to them , capacity 6.5 galls , and is intended for the split-screen models... so no extra capacity for the later models...

John ;-)

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/fuel- ... p-p1238190
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Another useful post that I'm glad I spotted. :P
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

Give how the fuel sender works with the float, how would you get an accurate reading from this tank?
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Andymoor94 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:25 pm Give how the fuel sender works with the float, how would you get an accurate reading from this tank?
Which one of those linked to above are you referring to... 9.5 gal, 6.6gal, 6.5 gal :lol:
I would say that given the inherent inaccuracies of the Minor gauging I think an approx E, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, F is about all you can hope for.
I just don't take Basil below just under 1/4, as I know there's about a gal (ish) left at that point.
Basil the 1955 series II

Andymoor94
Minor Fan

Post by Andymoor94 »

geoberni wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:02 pm
Andymoor94 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:25 pm Give how the fuel sender works with the float, how would you get an accurate reading from this tank?
Which one of those linked to above are you referring to... 9.5 gal, 6.6gal, 6.5 gal :lol:
I would say that given the inherent inaccuracies of the Minor gauging I think an approx E, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, F is about all you can hope for.
I just don't take Basil below just under 1/4, as I know there's about a gal (ish) left at that point.
I was originally referring to the low top one for the SII models, but I guess it stands for them all! If the sender is in a fixed position, but the tank is deeper, surely the float would read empty (I.E. be at its lowest point) with plenty of fuel left, right?
Eugene - My daily driver
1954 4 Door Saloon with original 803cc Engine.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Just bend the float arm down so its nearer the bottom of the bigger tank. Of course, it will then read 'full' for a longer time, until the level drops, but that is better than reading 'empty' when there is plenty of fuel left! 8)
You can fit the ordinary Minor 1000 6.5 gallon tank to a split screen but you have to saw off part of the filler tube to make it fit properly. It will also need the later spare wheel clamp - but the wheel will still fit....
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

With the 1000 tank at 6.5 gallons, for practical purposes let's say you have 6 gallons, which at 35 mpg gives a range of 210 miles, some cars will do even better than this. A Series II might be even more economical so the smaller tank corresponds with that. There used to be thousands more filling stations than there are now. If I am on a long journey into less populous areas I always carry a full one gallon can in the car.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:31 pm With the 1000 tank at 6.5 gallons, for practical purposes let's say you have 6 gallons, which at 35 mpg gives a range of 210 miles, some cars will do even better than this.
Yes, the 948cc engine in my splitty does 41mpg when everything is set up properly....I don't cane it, of course, which would increase consumption.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Andymoor94 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:23 pm
I was originally referring to the low top one for the SII models, but I guess it stands for them all! If the sender is in a fixed position, but the tank is deeper, surely the float would read empty (I.E. be at its lowest point) with plenty of fuel left, right?
I think it's a case of 'know your car'. :)
One day in the garage I had Basil reading about 1/8+ after lots of messing around with the engine running and not going anywhere, so I took the feed off the Carb and just let the Pump run until struggling a little (I wasn't worried about crud in the tank as I know it's clean, having looked in it when I got him).
I had almost a full 5ltr canister of fuel, the gauge was reading E, so I figured 1/4 must be around a gallon of useable fuel, allowing for inclines etc.

The advice from myoldjalopy is fair enough but you've got to allow for the float touching bottom, the relative plimsoll line effect of where the float usually sits when buoyant etc. It might take a while to get it 'right'.
There's some choice out there about how you go about it.
Basil's previous owner told me he never went below 1/2... :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It's not a calibrated instrument, it's for indication only. Rootes had the most accurate gauges marked in litres and gallons.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Well, having fitted a 6.5 gallon tank to my SII, I bent the original sender arm down slightly and now, when the tank is full it reads 'full' for about the first 70 miles, then it starts to drop. When it reads 'empty', I know there is about a gallon left in the tank so no need to panic 8)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

myoldjalopy wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:34 am Well, having fitted a 6.5 gallon tank to my SII, I bent the original sender arm down slightly and now, when the tank is full it reads 'full' for about the first 70 miles, then it starts to drop. When it reads 'empty', I know there is about a gallon left in the tank so no need to panic 8)
Sounds fair enough.

You know/knew what you were doing. You bent it 'slightly'.
My only reservations are regarding someone who doesn't grasp the finer detail and bends it too far, the float then bottoms out with it reading 1/8th still and the individual finds themselves stranded.
Because Sod's Law says someone would manage it. :roll: :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I have just bought one of these larger (6.6ltr) tanks for Sally, to replace her small original one.
My question is what do people on here recommend to use for resealing around the tank, where it bolts into the boot floor?
I did ponder 'Tiger Seal' but that might make it hard to remove the tank again should I need to.
I can't see any gaskets available for this.
Many thanks,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:34 am Hi,
I have just bought one of these larger (6.6ltr) tanks for Sally, to replace her small original one.
My question is what do people on here recommend to use for resealing around the tank, where it bolts into the boot floor?
I did ponder 'Tiger Seal' but that might make it hard to remove the tank again should I need to.
I can't see any gaskets available for this.
Many thanks,
Mike.
Tiger seal is also an adhesive; I'd use ordinary DIY gutter sealant, cheap brands are only £2-£3 a regular 'gun' size tube. They're usually pretty good at stopping leaks so would keep the water out of the mating surfaces.
e.g. www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-roof-gut ... 10ml/67521

Just make sure you still have a good metal to metal contact from tank to body shell so that the gauge still works.... :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II