Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Garyjohndavies
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Morris ital engine 1275

Post by Garyjohndavies »

Hi All ,have just bought a Morris Minor with a 1275 A+ engine installed ,Ital I think .
The engine number begins with 8HM . Anybody shed ideas on identification ?
Could it be a reconditioned unit ?

Gary
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Morris ital engine 1275

Post by philthehill »

A picture is worth a 1000 words.
Below is a 1275cc 'A' Plus engine - note position of oil filter.
A Plus 5..JPG
A Plus 5..JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 1864 times

Garyjohndavies
Minor Friendly

Post by Garyjohndavies »

Hi Phil ,exactly what I have .
The block is painted a strange green ,head is Matt black ,rocker cover is bright red !
Sounds odd ,but an A+ engine is for sale on eBay ,the same colours . The engine number begins 8 HM ,he has researched it as ,a factory reconditioned unit .My engine number starts the same .

Gary
Garyjohndavies
Minor Friendly

Post by Garyjohndavies »

Hi Phil ,exactly what I have .
The block is painted a strange green ,head is Matt black ,rocker cover is bright red !
Sounds odd ,but an A+ engine is for sale on eBay ,the same colours . The engine number begins 8 HM ,he has researched it as ,a factory reconditioned unit .My engine number starts the same .

Gary
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Gary
The engine number 8??? was used by BMC/BL for numbering engines that had been reconditioned.
'A' Plus engines are normally painted black. I would suggest that the engine has been painted as such by a previous owner.
A photo of your engine (especially around the bell housing area) would still be appreciated as you may and I say may have a 1275cc Maestro engine fitted which looks exactly the same as the 1275cc Ital engine. The Maestro engine was a common conversion for the Minor but as engine supplies have dried up so have the conversion kits.
Phil

Garyjohndavies
Minor Friendly

Post by Garyjohndavies »

Thanks for that Phil ,sure Mike is an A+ from 1980 .
Has an electric fan on at the moment ,but will a fan from an MG midget suffice ,when the lump is transferred to my 1953 split screen ? It’s for a road car ,not competition .

Gary
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Gary

The MG Midget fan in what ever guise will be more than sufficient for the engine when fitted to your 1953 split screen Minor.
The 1275cc engine was fitted with either a 6 blade metal fan or a 6 blade plastic fan.
Earlier Midgets were fitted with the two blade metal fan or if required the blades were doubled up to give 4 blades.

Make sure that you have adequate clearance between fan blades and radiator and fan blades and timing chain cover/breather (if fitted).
Thick/thin spacers can be fitted between pump fan mounting boss to ensure adequate clearance.

http://www.minispares.com/search/classi ... pacer.aspx

Phil