Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Failing seat cushions

Post by Nickol »

When my 69 Traveller was new i.e in its dilapidated second hand "repaired" state, one of the first things I resolved to do was to renew the seats. I brought new covers, the set cushions and the rubber seat base which is held in place on the seat frame by metal hooks. This replaces the original webbing.
In practice I have renewed the rubber seat base twice in 3 years as the hooks just tear the rubber out. At the moment I have reinforced the rubber seat with the original webbing ( good job it did not get thrown away) but that is starting to fail under teh load of my fragile body.
Before someone suggests I should lose weight, I weigh a mere 80kg for my 183.

Has anyone done anything clever to the seats to make them last longar???
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
Tea
Minor Fan

Re: Failing seat cushions

Post by Tea »

Where did you get your new seat parts from? We replaced our seat webbing straps, squab padding and covers about 5 years ago from ESM and they’re still looking almost as good as new. We’ve only done a couple thousand miles per year though...
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Yes also from ESM . or perhaps the first time from Newton when I comepletly redid the seats. Same produkt though. It is obviously the standard so perhaps I have installed it wrongly. :(
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ianmack »

If you’ve tried new rubber and used webbing I would suggest a set of new webbing. I have had good durability from this in the past. I’ve also heard of people using lengths of old seat belt, it’s not very springy but lasts forever.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

It just so happens that I've got my seats apart at the moment , am going to raise the driving position , but why not try these , I'm sure they'll support you..... matal bases..
2020_0519seats0001.JPG
2020_0519seats0001.JPG (605.84 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
2020_0519seats0002.JPG
2020_0519seats0002.JPG (622.48 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
P.S. found in them a button and two green shield stamps....

Memories...

John ;-)
Tea
Minor Fan

Post by Tea »

Aren’t the metal seat bases from an early series ll? I recovered seats some years ago that had those bases and I have a feeling it was either a ‘54 pick up or ‘54 2-door saloon. If so, would the later seat covers fit?
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

That seems to me a good solution, I will have a think about welding some steel straps across.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

Go carefully. I thought I would be clever and use a ply wood base. It was a comfortable ride but it raised the seat far too high. I relinquished and fitted the rubber base from ESM. All is fine now.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
MattsGPOvan
Minor Friendly

Post by MattsGPOvan »

Stamps are a cool find... l found a early 1/2 pence in my van.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I always make my own straps. I use the metal bits from the old ones and standard seat webbing. It take a couple of hours per seat but I have never had any problems afterwards. The rubber straps sold are too soft to my mind.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

It just so happens that I've got my seats apart at the moment , am going to raise the driving position , but why not try these , I'm sure they'll support you..... matal bases..
Series 2 front seats with metal bases are the most comfortable Morris Minor front seats, in my opinion.
The later straps etc. seem a step backwards and, as you have found, don't stand the test of time.
As stated above, be careful welding things in place, it'll be much harder to alter afterwards.
Why not source a pair of series 2 seats to solve the problem. They will just fit straight in.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I agree the SII seats are very comfy, good for the back. But they won't look right in a 69 traveller and the OP has previously bought new covers etc which won't fit the SII seats anyway. The solution offered by 'mowogg' seems a most satisfactory one.