Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RichardBarnes
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Where is that car now?

Post by RichardBarnes »

Hi there,
I'm Richard Barnes, now living in Adelaide, Australia. I've re joined the club after a gap of 37 years! I've also just acquired a 1950 Series MM but more on that another time. I owned several Minors when I lived in the UK, at least 2 I suspect might still be alive and well. Hence I have some history for these vehicles, including photos that might interest current owners.
Does the club keep a record of registration numbers to help unite cars with their past history? I realise confidentiality may be an issue, but a thought none the less.
1948 Series MM, 1970 Traveller
Des911
Minor Friendly

Re: Where is that car now?

Post by Des911 »

How did you "just acquired a 1950 Series MM" are there that many old cars knocking around Adelaide. Where did you get it from and I presume it was a private sale. Do you do all the maintenance yourself. Please let me know I'm interested. My son lives in West Lakes and I've never seen a Morris Minor on my trips there.

Thanks
1958 4 door Black
RichardBarnes
Minor Friendly

Post by RichardBarnes »

Hi Des911,
I’ve acquired the car from NSW and it’s being transported to Adelaide next week. I hope to do my own maintenance as I did in the 1970s and 80s, then because I was broke but now for fun! I’ve not seen the car, so will soon find out if it’s as good as it sounds. As soon as I have it here will post pics and send details to the MM register. So yes it will be a new addition to the South Australia fleet.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Richard
RichardBarnes wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:43 am at least 2 I suspect might still be alive and well.
If they are, then you can check the registration numbers on the DVLA website https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
That will at least confirm if they are still around.
if the Reg was still active when records changed from Local Councils to the central system, in the later 70s, then it should show.

As UK vehicle scrapping was for years, and still is in some ways, a very gash arrangement, many vehicles are still on the database even though probably long since scrapped.
For example, I brought a new Vauxhall Viva in 1977, in pale blue. It's still on the database, listed as colour Red, but last taxed expired April 1992. Perhaps it's in a dusty garage somewhere, but probably not. :cry:
Basil the 1955 series II

RichardBarnes
Minor Friendly

Post by RichardBarnes »

Thanks for that. Interesting to note one vehicle I owned, DRE 566E, an almond green tourer, was last registered in 2012, so maybe it’s off the road. If the owner is out there I have some great pictures of a tour of Portugal the car did in 1985!