Traveller wheels (sigh) ...

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DrEd
MMOC Member: No

Traveller wheels (sigh) ...

Post by DrEd »

Just rcvd set of 5 new 14 inch wheels from ESM. Unfortunately, they had the wrong lug-to-lug pitch (4.5 inches) for my Traveller. From the ad, I expected 4.5 inch width, but 4 inch lug pitch.

Any advice on getting some wheels that will actually fit???

Thanks -
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Traveller wheels (sigh) ...

Post by Murrayminor »

Depends on the year of your traveller.
Some early cars had I believe a PCD of 4.5"

https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/userfile ... nd-pcd.pdf
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Just to clarify does your traveller have a wheel pitch centre diameter (PCD) of 4.5" or 4.0"?

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

And is your Traveller standard brakes and hubs or has it been modified in any way; and what year is your car? It seems to me that the best advice is to speak to ESM, I have always found them to be very helpful.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Was a Traveller ever made with the earlier hubs of 4.5pcd? I don't believe so.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Had a look on ESM site. No sign of 4.5 PCD steel wheels. Are you talking about alloys?
Cardiff, UK
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

I've been outside and measured my spare wheel rims -
Series MM has a PDC of 4.5"
Series MM 4 and a half inch PDC.jpg
Series MM 4 and a half inch PDC.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 3091 times
Series II face-lift Traveller wheels are 4.0" PDC
Series II 4 inch PDC.jpg
Series II 4 inch PDC.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 3091 times
And, finally, Minor 1000 wheels have a PDC of 4.0"
Minor 1000 4 inch PDC.jpg
Minor 1000 4 inch PDC.jpg (703.31 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
Apart from the PDC, note the changes in hub cap fixing systems which also have a different spacing for different diameter hub caps.

George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

DrEd wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:51 pm Just rcvd set of 5 new 14 inch wheels from ESM. Unfortunately, they had the wrong lug-to-lug pitch (4.5 inches) for my Traveller. From the ad, I expected 4.5 inch width, but 4 inch lug pitch.

Any advice on getting some wheels that will actually fit???

Thanks -
Any chance of a photo of one of your new wheels with a ruler or tape measure across the bolt holes?

A picture of a wheel hub would be nice too.

George.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Just to confuse the issue, J4 and Cambridge wheels LOOK the same as Morris 1000 wheels, have 4.5 or 4 inch width but have 4.5 PCD. They take Minor 1000 hubcaps, too, instead of Series MM ones. Central holes for 'locating' are bigger by about 5mm on the MM.
Morris 1000 wide wheel on the Morris 1000 rear axle but Cambridge wheel next to it.
Attachments
phil2a.jpg
phil2a.jpg (238.7 KiB) Viewed 3063 times
Cardiff, UK
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Message to the original poster- where are the pictures of the wheels you bought and the hubs that are on your car?

It has all gone very quiet on this post.

George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
DrEd

Post by DrEd »

Sorry friends - I put this project on the back burner. It seems that I made a bad assumption that I had "standard" Morris Minor wheels on my Traveller. In reality, PO had "upgraded" to Morris Marina hubs and disc brakes - all very good, but the existing wheels are 13", with 4" J measurement, and 3.75 inch (98mm) PCD.

It seems that my options for 14 or 15 inch wheels are limited to Fiat 500 or Yugo, or 1 inch 3.75-to-4 inch spacers to modify the existing hub PCD pattern. Unfortunately, the availability of 13 inch tires is pretty restricted, and projected to just get worse ...

So I remain open to, and grateful for your recommendations.

DrEd
Massachusetts, USA
DrEd

Post by DrEd »

Sorry friends - I put this project on the back burner. It seems that I made a bad assumption that I had "standard" Morris Minor wheels on my Traveller. In reality, PO had "upgraded" to Morris Marina hubs and disc brakes - all very good, but the existing wheels are 13", with 4" J measurement, and 3.75 inch (98mm) PCD.

It seems that my options for 14 or 15 inch wheels are limited to Fiat 500 or Yugo, or 1 inch 3.75-to-4 inch spacers to modify the existing hub PCD pattern. Unfortunately, the availability of 13 inch tires is pretty restricted, and projected to just get worse ...

DrEd
Massachusetts, USA
DrEd

Post by DrEd »

DrEd
Massachusetts, USA
DrEd

Post by DrEd »

DrEd
Massachusetts, USA
DrEd

Post by DrEd »

gtt1951 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:58 pm Message to the original poster- where are the pictures of the wheels you bought and the hubs that are on your car?

It has all gone very quiet on this post.

George.
Sorry to have gone dark. Project on hold since my assumption that the current wheels were "standard" was erroneous. In fact, thPO replaced hubs with Morris Marina hubs when upgrading brakes. So, I need 14 or 15 x 5.5 inch wheels with 3.75 in (98mm) PCD, apparently only available for Fiat500 or Yugo vehicles. Alternatively, it appears that I can get 1inch "spacers" with 3.75-to-4 inch conversion. Finally, I can keep what I've got, and HOPE that 165-to-175 x 80 R13 tires continue to be available.

So, I continue to request and value your opinions on this subject.

Thanks, DrEd