Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ayr41
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Washer problem

Post by ayr41 »

Can’t seem to find the problem with this simple issue, the water washers on my Morris Van won’t work. I replaced the dash washer push but it still won’t draw water up from the bottle, the pipe is clear as I got a mouth full on sucking, am I doing something daft? Thanks for any advice.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Washer problem

Post by philthehill »

There should be a one way valve at the end of the pipe in the washer bottle. It allows the suck but will not allow water to go back to the bottle when the manual pump is operated.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

As well as the one way valve at the base which Phil has explained, I found it beneficial on my car to fit a 2nd one way valve into plastic pipe closer to the plunger as well. It was a cheap and easy job and I no longer have to push and push to prime the washers on the fairly rare times I need to use them.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Make sure that the jets are clear. Check all pipework - it could be kinked, causing an obstruction, or fractured allowing an air or water leak - it has been known to pump water onto the top of the gloveboxes.
ayr41
Minor Friendly

Post by ayr41 »

Waiting for some new pipe to come and a t junction have fitted some new jets so will let you know how i get on when I put it all together. Thanks for the replies.