Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Molly123
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Antenna

Post by Molly123 »

Hi
I’ve installed a radio in Molly, my traveller. The receiver is in the glove box and the speakers on the parcel shelf.
My problem is finding a decent antenna that can be installed inside the car and gives a good reception. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Regards
Seth
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Antenna

Post by geoberni »

Well the first question is have you kept it 'old school' with AM/FM, or have you gone DAB?
Basil the 1955 series II

Molly123
Minor Friendly

Post by Molly123 »

Old school . No DAB
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I haven't brought a new antenna myself for some years, but you might want to look at a list such as this one; there's several that are interior ones.
https://uk.bestreviews.guide/car-fm-antennas
Basil the 1955 series II

Molly123
Minor Friendly

Post by Molly123 »

Thanks geoberni. I’ll check it out.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

I fitted one of these:
https://www.raysmith.co.uk/products/ret ... n-pa1-html

Not the cheapest by any manner of means, as almost identical looking devices can be bought from any one of about 25 Chinese-based outlets for under a fiver! I fitted mine inside the rear screen of a 4 door saloon and there was plenty of cable to run it safely under the carpets and back up behind the parcel shelf into the radio-cassette player.

It does have a separate power source, so if the radio does not have a suitable connection, you will need a separate 12v feed to it. I did just that and wired it via a separate switch so that it is not a constant drain on the battery. If I want to listen to the radio, I effectively switch on the aerial and the radio. Switching the aerial on does make a real difference to the reception.

The overall performance of this aerial is better than I expected although I'm not kidding myself that a roof or wing mounted external jobbie be better. The reception might depend on your local area.

I remember speaking to the actual proprietor of this site and basically asked why his aerials seemed so expensive in comparison with just about every other one on the market. His reply was that all his products use top quality materials and there is always more than enough cable to be able to site the unit anywhere in the car. It was his recommendation to fit it on the rear screen i.e. as far away from the radio as possible.

Although this vendor happens to have the same surname as me, (not exactly that unusual) I have no connection with the firm. All I can say is that I have been well pleased with my purchase and as Ray said to me, he is happy to give advice and will readily replace any faulty goods....although he hasn't had to do yet.

Have you ever bothered trying to return rubbish quality products (eg screws made out of cheese etc.) back to China? No, me neither.
Reviews of many of the 'cheapies' are a bit mixed, to say the least.
Molly123
Minor Friendly

Post by Molly123 »

Thanks Owlsman. That sounds excellent. I would need plenty of cable to site it at the rear of my traveller, but maybe there would be enough to place it on a rear side window.
Much obliged for the recommendation.
Regards
Seth
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Owlsman wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:42 pm
Have you ever bothered trying to return rubbish quality products (eg screws made out of cheese etc.) back to China? No, me neither.
Reviews of many of the 'cheapies' are a bit mixed, to say the least.
Actually, I've never had a problem with refunds for faulty goods from China on ebay.
I always use Sellers which claim to be 'UK Stock', but sometimes it turns out to be delivered via the warehouses at Heathrow Airport....

But generally, the Chinese Sellers are so obsessed with not getting a poor review, it's not a problem getting a full refund with no need to return the faulty item.
I always buy items that are 'Free Shipping', that way when it comes to getting a refund, they can't not include the shipping refund, because it wasn't a separate cost. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I have fitted screen mounted arials on a few of my cars and have never had any more issues with signal than I got with the wing mounted versions.
Plus you have the added bonuses of not having to drill the wings nor having some idiot child (teenager or young adult -- read morons) thinking it would be fun to 'tie a knot' with it.....
Below is a link to a DAB version that I'm thinking of trying.
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... RBn&adurl=
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

My issue, to be clear, is not so much with Chinese products per se, rather with any shoddily manufactured goods or those made of poor quality materials........many of which, in my experience, emanate from that part of the world!

I don't like paying more than I have to, just like anyone else, but I'm more than happy to pay a bit more, if I think I'm getting a better quality product.

Even if a 'cheapy' does the job to start with, I have too often been so frustrated when it fails after a relatively short period, after which there is little or no chance of a refund. Basically, I think I'm saying 'you get what you pay for'.

Alan