Newton Commercial Suffolk Reclining Seats

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DonaldD
MMOC Member: No

Newton Commercial Suffolk Reclining Seats

Post by DonaldD »

I have back and hip problems, and I am hoping to fit new front and rear seats in my 1964 Morris Minor convertible. I would be very interested to hear any comments from anyone who has recently bought Suffolk reclining front seats from Newton Commercial -- the ones they are making now, based apparently on new MG Rover components. It would be reassuring to know that you have found these comfortable.
[sig]8650[/sig]DonaldD
near Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland
My car is 'Trafalgar', a 1964 Trafalgar blue Morris Minor 1000 convertible
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Newton Commercial Suffolk Reclining Seats

Post by ManyMinors »

Personally, I found that they offer very little support to the lower back. I didn't find them comfortable at all but many of us are different shapes and sizes. I do appreciate the safety advantages of having a fixed seat and built-in head restraint but find the standard Minor 1000 seat perfectly adequate for my needs once fitted with new straps and cushions. The difference in amazing.
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Monty-4 »

I wonder if something more supportive like the earlier Minor bucket-style seats or the Cobra Roadster SR seats might be better than the Newton style (also see Procar 90 and late MG Midget types). My back is quite sensitive to the lateral forces as much as it is the basic level of support offered by the seat, which can be supplemented with added cushioning, so the sides are an attractive feature.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

I put a pair of Suffolks in my Traveller when I built it back in 09, and I'm now considering replacing them with a new pair as they've simply worn out over the last seventy odd thousand miles. Seat comfort is a hugely subjective thing, but I wouldn't dream of NOT having a Suffolk. I have significant back problems, had two discectomies over the years, but I am happy to jump in my Traveller and drive from the Midlands to Switzerland only stopping for fuel and food, and I can't do that in my modern Discovery Sport which has seats that adjust in places I don't even understand! They are horrendously expensive, but I only have one back, and being able to drive my car comfortably regardless of distance matters to me more than a few quid in the bank.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
stuupnorth
Minor Fan

Post by stuupnorth »

hi
i used a set of Alfa 147 seats in my 2drImage
Attachments
$_57 (3).jpg
$_57 (3).jpg (276.06 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I have significant back problems, had two discectomies over the years, but I am happy to jump in my Traveller and drive from the Midlands to Switzerland only stopping for fuel and food, and I can't do that in my modern Discovery Sport
Solution: Sell the modern and stick to driving the Moggy! :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)