Replacement Smaller Banjo Steering Wheel?

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
acrobinson
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Replacement Smaller Banjo Steering Wheel?

Post by acrobinson »

Hello folks,

Does anyone know whether it's possible to replace the standard (large!) banjo steering wheel on a Moggie (1964) to one that still has the same banjo styling but is an inch or or two smaller in diameter? Did Morris/Austin/BL etc. make a smaller version for any other cars?

I would like a slightly smaller steering wheel without taking away the aesthetics of the original item.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Many thanks, :D
Acca
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Replacement Smaller Banjo Steering Wheel?

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
One thing to consider is the splines on which it fits together and which have to mate very well for it to be safe and secure, before you refit the nut.
So there needs to be a perfect match between the splines on the steering column and inside the steering wheel before you can consider one as suitable.
Also, unless others know of a smaller one, from what I've seen of the banjo types available (Morris, MG, Triumph), they are all of a similar size.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Nourish
Minor Fan

Post by Nourish »

I've thought about this. If you remove the plastic wheel grip you're just left with a 5/16"(?) round steel bar ring welded to the stainless(?) steel spokes. It wouldn't be too hard to cut this ring off, make it smaller and reweld it back on.. You only then have to re wrap the ring for the grip, I was thinking of making up a plywood rim and then having it covered with leather.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

To me that is all too hard.
I would rather go for the type of banjo steering wheel in the links below. It appears as if they will fit a normal Minor/classic Mini boss.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164155183312 ... OxyaTxTUMH~

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152513813776 ... xy7nNTUN-X

https://www.holden.co.uk/p/bluemels_ste ... eter_black
This is the type of boss for the Bluemel's wheel.
https://www.holden.co.uk/p/boss_to_fit_ ... up_to_1971

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Interesting options Phil.
Although Acca wanted to keep it aesthetically in keeping with the car, which I don't see that the large chromed fitting boss would be.
However, I agree with you that stripping a steering wheel down to it's component parts, cutting it up and rewelding it, would be allot of effort for very little return.
Even if you are successfully able to put it back together again, to get it looking the same or similar you would need to seek out one of those companies that restore these types of steering wheel and get them to recreate the bakelite / plastic moulding over the outer steel rim.
Which wouldn't be cheap.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

There are several different types of boss that the steering wheel in the first link would fit.
The steering wheel boss on my own minor is small, black and does not look out of place. The steering wheel fitted is a small 13" dia item. The classic Mini steering wheel boss in black I would suggest is most suitable. You can also get a Morris horn push to fit.
Here is a similar set up to mine but with a bright alloy boss. Now imagine it in black with the steering wheel in the first link and It would not look out of place.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304047472363 ... Swcs9g2KZt

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Nice wheel, reminds me of one I made, wooden segments of mahogany turned on lathe, duralumin spokes, splines from a Mini boss let into a steel centre, I eventually covered it with leather ———- then some bugger nicked it along with the car :evil:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Here is a similar set up to mine but with a bright alloy boss. Now imagine it in black with the steering wheel in the first link and It would not look out of place.
Yes, a black centre and 'M' horn push will make it fit in better, plus would seem closer to what Acca was looking for.
Best wishes,
Mike.
acrobinson
Minor Friendly

Post by acrobinson »

Thanks for all your helpful responses, folks. Much appreciated.

It appears this is an age old issue as I found this article from a 1994 Street Machine magazine but I'm not sure how "clean" the final product would be?

https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/threads/mak ... ase.34685/

I'm building a sleeper Minor and really want as authentic a wheel as possible to help with the aesthetic. I think I would prefer to keep it standard and swirl it about a bit more, than have anything that did not look totally period and give the game away.

Here's hoping there's a solution out there somewhere as I'm obviously not the first to want to go along this path.

Thanks again and keep those ideas coming :D

Acca