Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
1958trebor
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Original seats Feb 1954 registered S11

Post by 1958trebor »

Hi all! I hope you are all keeping safe and are well. I have a question for the gang. I have a February 1954 registered S11 two door saloon that I have owned, on and off for about 30 years. It belonged to a mechanic at Minorite in Leicestershire and was certainly not a museum piece. However, over the years, I have tried to return it to something like its original spec. It's now Empire green, rather than the synthetic Almond green it had when I first got it. The trafficators now work and I sourced an original steering wheel and column. The 1098 engine, gearbox and back axle have stayed, as has the telescopic rear dampers and uprated brakes. When I first got it, the front seats were leather faced with a double row of stiches along the backboard which I believe is the early seat design. However, the leather was beyond repair and I was fortunate to be given a set of green seats in vinyl that match the colour of the rear seat and have similar white piping. These seats do not have the double row of stitching around the back but have the solid base of the early ones. I can just about afford to replace them but which are the correct ones? The older ones don't have the white piping so may not be original. The ones in now are clearly not original but may be correct for the year. The car is a cheesegrater with a small speedo and the VIN is 240247. I've still got both sets so if I can establish which ones are correct, they will be off to Newtons and the others put up to help another member. Any help is appreciated as usual.
Schultz
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Original seats Feb 1954 registered S11

Post by myoldjalopy »

If there is piping on the rear seat, then one would expect the front seats to have matching piping. That assumes that the rear seat is original.
The SII seat pattern did change in late 1953 from the MM type to one with narrower fluted panels. In theory, that should be the type in your car if it is a 1954 model. A few photos of the two types of seat you have, together with one of the rear, would help us.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I found this, if it helps.
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAD
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

For 1954 the piping would have been the same as the material, the white piping came in around 1956. As you say the front seats with the stitching on the backboard is correct for 1954 model year.

1958trebor
Minor Friendly

Post by 1958trebor »

Thanks for the info. I am beginning to think that the rear seat isn't original either. I will try to upload some photos this week.