Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Dismantling the swivel ashtray?

Post by Chief »

Hi,
Has anyone ever dismantled this, and does it just pull apart into two/three sections? Mines stuck and can barely open more than a fraction. I tried it in a bath of Jenolite rust remover, followed by a bath of plus-gas but it still sticks so I reckon it's a physical problem rather than rust.

Just for clarity, I'm talking about this style:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174324659065

Budgie
Minor Addict

Re: Dismantling the swivel ashtray?

Post by Budgie »

It just simply pushes together to assemble and the reverse to dismantle. I had one that needed a bit of tweaking / cleaning a few months ago and wasn't sure how it came apart if at all at first .
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Thanks, that's what I thought it must be like. I do have some vgaue memory of having it apart in the past but that was likely many years ago.

Does it only pull apart when fully open? I almost managed to get it to open 1/4 way, but that was with using a screwdriver to pry it and it is very reluctant to move.
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

You could try some gentle tapping with a pin hammer on the central pivot. Open up the vice jaws a little , just enough to straddle either side of the pivot head. Place ashtray at 90 degrees to the jaws and at one end.i.e
so that the rear side of the ashtray , overhangs the jaws. Protect the chrome with layers of masking tape if your aim isn't that good. Flip the ashtray over and tap from the other side
Application of heat sometimes gets thing moving. Heat gun or immerse in very hot water.Thick gloves to hand and a pair of pliers or similar to remove from water and to hold ashtray.
Heat / tapping gently / Plusgas in rotation should eventually free it up. Resist using a large hammer and unnecessary force in your frustration. Your aim is to break the rust seal / grip on the pivot not to undertake
body work panel beating.
Good luck with. Bob
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Thanks, I'll try the above.
mogbob wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:28 pm Your aim is to break the rust seal / grip on the pivot
The pivot can actually be turned already.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
As you put it back together apply a little copper grease to where it rotates, this should stop it sticking in future.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

If the insert is now able to swivel outwards then simply grab hold of the insert and gently pull away from the main body and it should come apart. If not then follow the steps given in the last posts.