Steering Wheel Removal - it's stuck fast!

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Steering Wheel Removal - it's stuck fast!

Post by Chief »

Never had this happen before, I'm trying to remove my steering wheel and it's stuck fast as though something is still holding it in place.

It's an early 1964 model, and in the past all I've had to do was undo the screws, take off the nut and give the wheel a few pulls.

I've done that with the result the whole car is rocking back and forth, rather than the wheel coming off (and scarily the nut wasn't even finger tight, could spin it off with just one finger!) and it just won't budge.

I can push it, up, down, left, right and even slightly backwards, but forward and off seems to be an impossible task.

Am I forgetting to do something? and if not, any ideas for how to get it moving? My best idea so far was to attach a rubber oil filter remover behind the wheel to pull from behind but that too is failing.

panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Steering Wheel Removal - it's stuck fast!

Post by panky »

Is the shake proof washer somehow jamming it up? You could try tapping the wheel from behind with a soft faced mallet but whatever method you use make sure the nut is on a few threads so the wheel doesn't suddenly come free and smack you in the nose - ask me how I know :roll:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Is the shake proof washer somehow jamming it up? You could try tapping the wheel from behind with a soft faced mallet but whatever method you use make sure the nut is on a few threads so the wheel doesn't suddenly come free and smack you in the nose - ask me how I know :roll:
Sound advice, it was the forehead with me....... :lol:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

panky wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:50 pm Is the shake proof washer somehow jamming it up?
Mine doesn't have a washer, or if it does it isn't visible. Also the times I've done it I've always managed not to get hit in the face with it inspite having the nut fully off, sounds like I've been lucky !

I'll try a rubber mallet, but it's just odd how stuck it is.

Edit:

That eventually got it off, and I do mean eventually. Even with the mallet (which I'd forgotten I owned, since it's for my tent :D) it took way more hits to finally get it to a point it could be pulled off than I would have expected, no way was it going to hit me in the face it came off so slowly.

Once it was off there was a tiny amount of surface rust, but I wouldn't have thought it enough to be a big issue.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Chief wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:10 pm
Once it was off there was a tiny amount of surface rust, but I wouldn't have thought it enough to be a big issue.
You'll surprised how much 'Stiction' can come from a slight layer of surface rust between well fitting smooth surfaces.
Had you applied any lubricant/penetrant, I don't see it mentioned?
Basil the 1955 series II

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

No I hadn't applied any lubricants because all I have to hand is plus-gas and that has the nasty habit of dissolving the stonechip on the floor directly beneath - another case of 'ask me how I know' :oops:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Copper grease: To Morris Minor owners what 'Medicinal Compound' was to Lilly the Pink! :lol:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Yes, I wish I'd learnt of copper grease years ago as I only got my first tube the other day, now just about every nut/bolt going back on the car is being greased with it. I even took off every front bumper (and blade) bolt to grease them after the awful time I had of it getting the rear bumper off - just as well, the castrol grease I had used on them had all washed away and the rust caused the job to be a real pain - only been two years since I did them too!

However I do have a couple of areas where the copper grease has spread where I don't want the grease on the interior floor, any advice for cleaning it off without damaging paint/stonechip? I used soapy water on my tools and that worked for the smooth ones, but the rough tools stayed greased, and with the floor being rough from the stonechip it makes me think that won't work. As an alternative I may just paint over the grease... :D
jagnut66 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:33 pm Lilly the Pink
Had to google that, couldn't cope with the whole song but it said she died taking it - not a good sign for the Minor! :P It did however explain a truly awful television advert that used to be on in Scotland, a drink sensibly one, which I would say modified the lyrics somewhat.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Had to google that, couldn't cope with the whole song but it said she died taking it - not a good sign for the Minor! :P
I wasn't advising Minor owners should consume the stuff.... :lol:
I don't want the grease on the interior floor
Just wipe the floor with an old cloth, that's all I do, it won't do any harm or dissolve anything, it may even help protect it in some small way. :D
Best wishes,
Mike.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

It was more it smearing on the new carpets I was concerned about, all of this pain I've been putting myself through has been in getting the interior sorted out
Philip b
Minor Friendly

Post by Philip b »

got a hub puller?
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

I've go tight steering wheels off before by wedging my knees behind the wheel and pushing it up then striking the column shaft (with the nut still on) with a copper hammer.