1950 MM 2 dr SHORT BONNET SALOON for restoration

You can use this area to advertise a Morris Minor.
sparesman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

1950 MM 2 dr SHORT BONNET SALOON for restoration

Postby sparesman » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:49 pm

I was shown today a Black Series MM 2 door saloon that is for sale for restoration near Norwich. It is an early highlight MM with the "short" bonnet. Looks to have not been used for many years it appeared to be quite sound other than usual rust at front end of sills and front offside engine bay floor plus the bottom of the cheesegrater grille , which has the removable chrome grille centre, was rotted out. The bootlid is the early type with slam shut catch and has some rust. I didnt check out the doors.
The beige interior is complete although the front seats needs some attention, back seats and side panels are very good.
The engine is not seized and turned over easily with a battery connected and there was a good oil pressure.
The engine is fitted with a water pump and an oil bath air filter assembly which indicates it was built for export. Discussions with a club member who has a similar chassis numbered car reveals it was probably built in April 1951 as part of a batch of LHD Minors that were subsequently returned from North America and converted to RHD before being sold off cheap in December 1951.
It also has the early chrome door surrounds and early type quarterlights although they will all need rechroming. It also has painted hubcaps from the early 51 chrome shortage.
Original tools were in the boot.
Definitely worth saving and restoring.
There is no record of the reg number on the DVLA website which the feeling I have that the car has been stored unused for many years.
Owner looking for offers in excess of £1500. Given various rare features the value if broken for spares would exceed this but it would be a shame for it not to be restored.
If you are interested please contact me for further information and details of seller.
Bryan Gostling Tel 07831 574495
1952 MM 2dr saloon in Thames Blue UNO212
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest PPX344