Winners of the 2011 Inter-Branch Challenge
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MColes
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: younger members thread.

Post by MColes »

marcusthemoose wrote:i personally think that "young owners register" is fine and does exactly what it says on the tin. the agebound of up to 30 sound reasonable considering the age of most minor owners- i think advice and thoughts should go both ways- but the idea of the "young at heart" who are outside the age limit is not an idea i am a fan of. of course older members are welcome to comment and talk about what is going on in the register, but i think that the idea of these people joining is a step to far. you wouldn't expect someone with just an Austin lcv to join the series MM branch would you? i hope you can understand where i am coming from.
I did not suggest they could join, just that they could use the knowledge they have collected over the extra years they have existed to guide and help us. I also said there was nothing wrong with them taking part in our rallies etc (when we get that far) because if we don't talk to them how will we ever learn???
marcusthemoose wrote:it is encouraging to see the idea is actually being considered by the commitee, though its a shame the next meeting isn't sooner! :)
I agreed but if people answer the questions I have posted in the members are this will add more weight to our case when it is submitted to the committee.
marcusthemoose wrote:i think we shall continue currently with this thread, that is unless the mods want to add us a forum/branch topic on the main message board here (hint hint!) just to see how it goes?
This would be good, can this be done before committee approval? A trial period?
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Another update

It has been brought to my attention that some older members may feel that putting a cut off age to this proposed registry is , shall we say, a bit mean. So I have an additional proposal to make...

That older members of the club are not excluded and are encouraged to join in an 'advisory capacity' to help us younger owners with our problems but it is to be made clear that the club will be aimed at and specifically for younger members (those under 30).
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

marcusthemoose wrote:it is encouraging to see the idea is actually being considered by the commitee, though its a shame the next meeting isn't sooner! :)

i think we shall continue currently with this thread, that is unless the mods want to add us a forum/branch topic on the main message board here (hint hint!) just to see how it goes? if this thread is anything to go by, it may prove reasonably popular.

all for now, marcus
Right its great to see the enthusiasm bubbling up and I can understand you wanting it done yesterday (I was never like that when I was that young, well not every day anyway) but give Matt a little chance to put things together it only started yesterday and then things can be proposed to Rosie who can get committee aproval (if everthing is ok) and then It shouldnt be too difficult to create a register forum for it.
I will resist coming up with another name for it as most of your members will be younger than my own children and I still think of them with rubber wings (not the LCV type) playpens and pushchairs ect so I will shut up before I dig a bigger hole for myself.

Advisory capacity does that mean we can share the spoils of youth :o
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Advisory capacity does that mean we can share the spoils of youth :o
Anyone going through a mid-life crisis will fit right in with us I'm sure :lol:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

moggydriver62
Minor Fan

Post by moggydriver62 »

What was that old saying.Oh yes I remember.Don't trust anyone under 30. :o :roll:
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

moggydriver62 wrote:What was that old saying.Oh yes I remember.Don't trust anyone under 30. :o :roll:
you missed a bit.

Don't trust anyone under 30... unless he drives a Morris Minor :lol:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

this is a realy refreshing thread we do need to encourage younger morris owners into the club.we do like to drive and use our cars i did 360 mile trip to the national no problems.so get your cars out and use them i say.on the mot uk there were quite a few younger members there,and we thorughly enjoyed it.we need the younger generation to help the club progress in the future.does being 41 make me a grumpy old man / or young man ,well done for putting this up .
[sig]5641[/sig]
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

dalebrignall wrote:.........on the mot uk there were quite a few younger members there,and we thorughly enjoyed it.
The more the merrier Dale, and any suggestions to encourage this are always welcome :D
Bill Hewlett

Oxon & Berks Branch Chairman - MOT-UK Organiser (see http://www.blurb.com/books/1518384 and http://www.blurb.com/books/2422813)
Oxon & Berks Website: http://www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox/
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

dalebrignall wrote:does being 41 make me a grumpy old man / or young man
Depends on the time of day with your job Dale :wink:
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
A-Series Spares
Minor Friendly

Post by A-Series Spares »

its nice to see more younger ones, there have been more and more of us the last few years, but at the end of the day age doesnt really matter, its attitude and how you put your self out that count!

i think more rallys and more to do at them, we have a trade stall at one of the annual mini shows at santa pod later this year and there are loads of attractions for the rest of the family, i think if we teamed up with the MG's or someone aswell and really put on a show we could get even more people there every year!
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

i am 58 but seriously think i am 28 does that count, i was young once with a minor van
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

[quote="chickenjohn"] 31 is still young! It was circumstances that prevented me from buying a classic earlier, i wanted a classic since I could drive, what is your point???

[quote="chickenjohn"]

what is my point?

31 is not young.. ( unless you wanted to join the young conservatives in which case it was 35, even conservative future has set the age limit at 30) you were almost twice my age when I joined the club for the first time...

in the intervening 13 years between my 18th birthday and 31st I had got a degree, travelled around south america for several months, worked for almost 9 years, been made redundant twice and had almost completed my Masters' dissertation.

The passing of years has made us both older, and regrettably what ever our circumstances are / were we can not do anything about that..
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

This is a fantastic idea. Lets be serious now, most youngsters don't want to be mixing with the married with two kids types.. it's just not cool. Unfortunately the moggy falls into this category quite well. Do your stuff Matt the "elders" will not be far to offer advice at Nationals on repairs, maintenance etc etc..... etc! :D
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Once upon a time people left school at 15 got a job and by 31 had put 15 years in. Then 31 is not young. Leave at 18 etc etc then it's reasonably young!

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Thanks Matt for doing this and getting a bit further with the idea than I did!
It would be nice to get young owners noticed a bit more and prove that minors are still practical as first cars.

As for the name, I think something along the lines of 'younger owners register' is what we should go for as that is what we are! Any name that doesnt portray exactly what we are may just cause confusion.
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Sidney'61 wrote:Thanks Matt for doing this and getting a bit further with the idea than I did!
It would be nice to get young owners noticed a bit more and prove that minors are still practical as first cars.
You started the ball rolling a few years ago so don't give me all the credit :wink:
Sidney'61 wrote:As for the name, I think something along the lines of 'younger owners register' is what we should go for as that is what we are! Any name that doesnt portray exactly what we are may just cause confusion.
I would agree, to quote a well known advert "it does exactly was it says on the Tin" :D
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

brian
Minor Friendly

Post by brian »

Hi ,best of british,give it a try,why not ? what is there to loose ? I am 66 the youngsters need expierience,and maybe it may work,all the best,cheers Brian.

marcusthemoose
Minor Fan

Post by marcusthemoose »

thanks brian, and everyone else for your encouragement- i am glad matt has stepped into the role of "project manager" as i don't think i would have been half as good. :D
Dryad
Minor Addict

Post by Dryad »

What about us who are over 30 but under 55? I'm 46 and although obsessed by Minors I am not interested in modding, but nor am I interested in bowling or trips to owl sancturys! :evil: Perhaps there should be a thread for 30 - 55s :lol:

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

:lol: :lol:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512