Winners of the 2011 Inter-Branch Challenge
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mantamagicd85
MMOC Member: No

moggy engine

Post by mantamagicd85 »

Hello everyone just joined the forum.
I've never had a minor yet but that will hopefully be sorted in the future. The reason I've joined is I've been offered a free minor engine. It had been with a Boys Brigade group and used to show the boys how to strip and rebuild an engine. I couldn't see it going in a skip so I'm giving it a home. Other than that I have no clue about the engine yet as in size and how complete it is. Any way my plans are to use it to show my wee boy how to overhaul an engine. I'm going to need an overhaul kit if anyone can recommend where to get one from. The closest we came to having a moggy was when I was about 4 . I remember my dad having a look over it in a car sales place. I really hoped he would get it because it was a woody. Unfortunately he bought a Peugeot 104 which was nothing but hassle. Should have gone for the moggy dad lol. Sorry this has turned into a bit of a novel. Anyway if any one has any hints and tips they would be appreciated. Maybe one day I'll get a complete car
Cheers
Davy
amgrave
Minor Addict

Re: moggy engine

Post by amgrave »

Hi Davy and welcome. We will need a picture or three or at least the engine plate number to identify it as there are at least four types of engine fitted over the years.

mantamagicd85

Post by mantamagicd85 »

Definitely I will do that as soon as I collect it. I'm hopeful it definitely is from a minor. Obviously it must be an A series so someone may have looked at it and just said it's from a minor so it'll be good to get clarification. Thanks for the reply
Davy
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

How do you manage to have a post count of '0' ?? There is no 'overhaul kit' - other than the various gasket sets of course. It all depends what state it's in - and that (and the model type) may be the decider if it's worth overhauling. Meantime - although this is a Triumph engine it is similar in many ways to the BMC A series......so it will give you an idea of what you need to do!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daVDrGsaDME
ImageImage
mantamagicd85

Post by mantamagicd85 »

Hello all.
Thank you for your replies. Today I finally picked my engine up. Pass on the lack of post counts lol don't know how that all works. At first glance the engine looks pretty much complete and tidy minus the starter. I took a picture of the side of the block which I will post. I'll nip round for more pics and post them with as many numbers as possible.
Cheers
Davy
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Must have got lost on the way back......good 6 weeks ago now! And still 0 post count ????
ImageImage
mantamagicd85

Post by mantamagicd85 »

Fortunately I didn't get lost on the way back. I really just take to do with this wee engine when I get time. I have other projects on the go as well. I took the engine because I was told it was going in a skip and I really didn't want to see it end up that way. I have one pic but not sure how to submit it. Also if anyone can shed any light on why my post count isn't changing that would be good. Is this something I have to change or is it a glitch with the site.
Cheers
Davy
mantamagicd85

Post by mantamagicd85 »

Right I realised I was looking at the wrong part of the page for attaching an image. This one isn't great as I it doesn't show much. I'll get more as soon as I can
Cheers Davy
mantamagicd85

Post by mantamagicd85 »

I went round to my garage today to have a look at the engine. I got some pictures but after my last attempt I don't seem to be able to get them to show up. Anyway I noted down the engine number which starts with 10V. According to a website I was on it would appear that my engine is a 1098cc closed circuit breather engine from a van. So it's something a wee bit different. I'm not sure how much the van engines vary to a standard 1098 cc. I'd be interested to hear.
Cheers Davy