Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cplnobbie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Police Radio

Post by cplnobbie »

Hi all,
Can anyone please confirm what radio Is In the morris , Is It a PYE Westminster and was that the only radio fitted , And what aerial was on the roof .

Many Thanks
Anthony
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Police Radio

Post by simmitc »

There's no easy answer to that question. Each force was a law unto itself :-? and whether radios were fitted is a kind of yes and no. Some cars had radios, some did not. Some officers carried personal radios, others stopped and used the telephone. Some aerials were mounted on the roof, some on the wings. The first thing is to establish which force used your car and then try to find some photos of cars in service. You can't even rely on force records - Essex told me that they used only Imps and Mini's until I met an old Sargent who said that their first radio cars were two Minors with massive valve sets mounted in the boot. If you're after authenticity then you need to do some more research (and please let me know the results!) otherwise for general "look" and period set would do.
cplnobbie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by cplnobbie »

Thanks for that, Its an EX SUFFOLK POLICE CAR that I will be getting dropped off sometime this week or next.

Rdgs
Anthony
WPR678B
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by WPR678B »

Sorry to bump up such an old post, but was any further information found out about the radio's used by chance?