For owners of Pandas and other ex-police minors
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tr7s-too
MMOC Member: No

WRY865J

Post by Tr7s-too »

Hi there,
I recently acquired a Morris Traveller with the above registration, it seems to of spent most of its life in the Wolverhampton area and is painted in what looks like Leicestershire police livery, my problem is I have very little history on the vehicle and hoped someone on here may be able to help.
I have names and addresses tied into the car since at least 1977 and have dropped the three of them letters asking for any history but so far have had one reply and that said the name I had had moved to Canada so no joy.
is there any way to find out if the car is a genuine ex police, I have my doubts, the log book also logs the car as grey again throwing confusion into the ring as the lists I have checked so far state that in 71 when registered they didn't do a grey traveller....
I am in the progress of stripping down for a restoration so would like to know that when I paint it it will be in the colour it left the factory in.
any help much appreciated.
Will add a picture as soon as i find out how to lol
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: WRY865J

Post by ManyMinors »

If you're stripping the car down for restoration I'd have thought it would be very easy to establish the original colour as you dismantle.
Nobody will have done such a thorough job of re-painting the car that none of the original paint remains so the original colour will be clearly visible under and later change.

I believe it is not possible to obtain a Heritage Certificate from Gaydon for the late Travellers, so you will have to do some digging but it should be possible to find. Any Police Minors I have seen previously have always been "basic" specification - with plain interior panels, no boot trim in the rear compartment etc etc. What colour is the car now? What colour is the interior? Can you post any photos?

Good luck with your search. I believe that the RY registration series was indeed issued in Leicestershire, so that does tie in.
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: WRY865J

Post by palacebear »

A Google search reveals a fairly recent photo of WRY865J posted on Pinterest. As far as I can tell, Leicestershire police favoured all-white livery in the late 60s and early 70s. My apologies if I'm wrong, but the photo suggests its a standard Bermuda Blue 'civilian' Traveller which had been trimmed to resemble a police car. The wing mirrors look like the spring-back type favoured by police forces. The Police sign and blue light, if genuine, would require wiring inside the car and possibly a zip in the headlining for access to the wiring. If a genuine police car, the front seats will probably also have a rubber diaphragm instead of the usual webbing ... heavy duty support for corpulent constable's posteriors apparently. :D
1956 4-door called Max