Fish carb

You can use this area to advertise parts.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Fish carb

Postby philthehill » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:51 am

Murrayminor
Minor Fan

Re: Fish carb

Postby Murrayminor » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:11 am

I recall the Reece "Minnow" was an upgrade option on the VW flat four, didn't realise it was a available for the A series.
From memory it was a decent bit of kit on the flat Four,I wonder what improvements it would make on a Minor A series.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor

twincamman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Postby twincamman » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:19 am

Apparently the Fish carb was infinitely adjustable, so there was no need to change any components (e.g. needle, jet etc.) to get it to run well on any engine, although setting them up is probably a black art!
I remember a test of a 1.5" Fish carb on a hot 1293cc 'A' series, and the single Fish got within 1bhp of a sidedraught Weber.

Murrayminor
Minor Fan

Postby Murrayminor » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:49 am

Yes I think Dave Vizard did a test of the Fish as well, I have the tuning bible somewhere I will dig it out and see what he says.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:31 pm

Murrayminor
Minor Fan

Postby Murrayminor » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:10 am

Very interesting read, although it is understandably somewhat one-sided.
From a distant memory I recall the Minnow Fish name been bandied about but took it for granted the Reece Fish was a development of the original.
But surely if one was going to go to the trouble of copying an existing item then reasonable steps would have been taken to match the design rather than just guessing how it should work.
I wonder if the Reece Fish carb actually worked and the original designer/copyright holder was just trying to badmouth them.
I think some further research is in order.

Thanks for the article.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:00 am

I agree it is an article from one point of view but I included it as it gives a good background history to the Fish/Minnow carb.

Les is our man on the Fish carb - as if I remember correctly he had a Fish carb fitted to his Mini and I believe he still has the Fish carb.

Phil

Murrayminor
Minor Fan

Postby Murrayminor » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:12 am

philthehill wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:00 am
I agree it is an article from one point of view but I included it as it gives a good background history to the Fish/Minnow carb.

Les is our man on the Fish carb - as if I remember correctly he had a Fish carb fitted to his Mini and I believe he still has the Fish carb.

Phil
Indeed it does give a great insight into the history of the carburettor, Vizard says the Reece Fish gives fuel droplets which are too large at part throttle, which for a road car is where it is going to spend most of its time, but he doesn't discount the Carb completely siting that the carb with its infinite adjustability will probably end up with better settings than a carb with a jet or two out.

I would be keen to try a Reece Fish carb, my initial intention is to run a 1098, with a small valve 12g940 head, Possibly a suitable camshaft if I can find one, aforementioned carb and manifold, with a decent flow air filter and electronic ignition, just to give the engine a little more get up and go, rather than an all out race engine.
I appreciate the Minor 1098 engine is limited by the Crankshaft bearings but it wont be at full throttle very often.