1275cc Midget engine

You can use this area to advertise parts.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

1275cc Midget engine

Postby philthehill » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:32 pm

Sleeper
Minor Addict

Re: 1275cc Midget engine

Postby Sleeper » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:25 pm

Is that good ? , rusty bearing surfaces, rusty bores , says complete but I can't see any con rods , pistons etc etc etc ?

Or is that the " More parts are available. "

John :-?

les
Minor Maniac

Postby les » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:32 pm

More parts available usually means separately but that may be for parts not associated with the engine, which is said to be complete They have another Mg engine listed for sale as well.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Postby ManyMinors » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:22 am

He has a complete engine (and a gearbox) as well. It is very hard to get hold of a 1275 Midget engine now so I think his (starting) prices are very reasonable.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:31 am

At the current price of £129 what is pictured it is very cheap and especially as it is a thick flanged block which is the sought after block.
The three important things missing from the photo are the three main bearing caps but even then that is not the end of the world as they can be replaced with steel items.
As regards the rust - no problems there as the bores can be re-bored and the other surfaces cleaned up.

At the moment what is pictured is an absolute bargain.

Murrayminor
Minor Fan

Postby Murrayminor » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:39 am

I have to agree the items for sale are both sought after and getting rarer.

Look how much the individual parts would be if you were to build an engine.

I have a block and crank away being machined at the moment which I can say looked like they had come from the bottom of a lake so all can be made good in most cases.

I shall watch the auction with interest .
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:48 pm

I have sent the seller a question asking if the three main bearing caps and the pistons/rods are available and included in the listing.
I will post on here if and when I get a reply.

Phil

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Postby jagnut66 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:21 pm

Hi,
I believe that the Midget gearbox will fit straight onto a 1098 Minor engine (or an adapted 948 - with 1098 backplate fitted), giving the advantage of a reversing light connection to the gearbox and stronger internal components.
So if anyone on here is in need of a gearbox this could be a solution for them (link below).
Might be worth making an offer.
Best wishes,
Mike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1973-MG-Midg ... Sw6Xte5iD2
1954 Series 2 on axle stands needing more welding......

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:06 pm

I have had a reply from the seller:-

The pistons /rods and main bearing caps are there and included as part of the original listing.
………………………………………………………….

For me any other parts that are not shown would be replaced as a matter of course.

I still consider this engine though in pieces and somewhat rusty to be a bargain though as these engines are hard to come by I would not be surprised to find that the engine is sold for considerably more than the current bid.

mgdavid
Minor Friendly

Postby mgdavid » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:44 am

I very rarely disagree with Phil, but new steel main bearing caps would need to be line bored with the block, adding perhaps £150 to 200 to the rebuild cost - even finding engineering shops to do that is becoming more difficult nowadays. There's no sump, these are getting like rockinghorse manure to find separately and nobody makes them new. Also the timing cover is wrong, having the bulge to accommodate the tensioner, which Spridgets never had. Then there's rocker gear and rocker cover plus distributor and all the small fittings which are not wear items and would be re-used. IMHO better to go for a complete engine.
midget1380@btinternet.com

Murrayminor
Minor Fan

Postby Murrayminor » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:41 am

mgdavid wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:44 am
I very rarely disagree with Phil, but new steel main bearing caps would need to be line bored with the block, adding perhaps £150 to 200 to the rebuild cost - even finding engineering shops to do that is becoming more difficult nowadays. There's no sump, these are getting like rockinghorse manure to find separately and nobody makes them new. Also the timing cover is wrong, having the bulge to accommodate the tensioner, which Spridgets never had. Then there's rocker gear and rocker cover plus distributor and all the small fittings which are not wear items and would be re-used. IMHO better to go for a complete engine.
It appears the original bearing caps are present so that saves a job.
As for the remainder, surely a new set of rocker gear would be fitted to a rebuilt engine for peace of mind along with a new distributor, again for reliability and peace of mind.
Why would anyone rebuild an engine and not replace the common and widely available parts that are known to go wrong/have no history?

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:34 am

In reply to the above

I have contacted the seller and the main bearing caps are there and part of the deal.
Even if they were not sets of replacement main bearing caps are available and engineering firms are out there who are able to line bore the block/new main bearing caps. Maybe not as many as there used to be but they are still out there.
Whilst there is no sump (which may be available I did not ask if it was) the 1275cc Marina sump is a direct replacement and a lot cheaper than a good S/H MG Midget/Sprite sump.
The timing cover may be wrong but is useable and can be used with the duplex chain and tensioner set up which is an upgrade to the standard set up.
The rocker gear (which may be available I did not ask if it was) is easily and cheaply replaceable.
The MG Midget/Sprite distributer (which may be available I did not ask if it was) is easily and cheaply available.
The front engine plate (which may be available I did not ask if it was) can be replaced with a Minor front engine plate which is easily and cheaply replaceable. You do not have to use the MG Midget/Sprite front engine plate with the strengthening plate.

To sum up:- The main and the expensive parts are there in the listing pictures everything else is incidental and can be easily and cheaply replaced. Most of the parts missing from the listing pictures I would expect to replace with service items anyway if rebuilding/reconditioning the engine properly.

Phil

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Postby RobThomas » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:32 am

Marina backplate in that advert, but easy enough to cut a new one out of Ali using a 1098 and a Marina one to give gearbox holes and oil pump holes locations. Adding the oil pump cover is a bit more of an issue. I think Peter May used to sell them new?
Cardiff, UK

les
Minor Maniac

Postby les » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:13 pm

Stored in a sealed garage, ——— hate to think what it would look like in an unsealed one ! :D
There seems to be a glut of midget engines appearing recently with ever increasing prices.

Murrayminor
Minor Fan

Postby Murrayminor » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:20 pm

It sold for £343
Goes to show how much prices are creeping up.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:52 pm

Les
there seems to be a glut of everything at the moment possibly people selling stuff to raise cash due to pandemic unemployment; and it is not just engines or engine parts but everything.

Phil

Murrayminor
Minor Fan

Postby Murrayminor » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:47 pm

philthehill wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:52 pm
Les
there seems to be a glut of everything at the moment possibly people selling stuff to raise cash due to pandemic unemployment; and it is not just engines or engine parts but everything.

Phil
I have recently sold quite a bit of stuff, I suppose working from home means more time seeing things in the garage and house and also having the time to actually sell stuff.
But I have noticed quite a lot of tools for sale around the usual sites, maybe you're right people are trying to make a few bod whilst away from work.

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Postby ampwhu » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:15 pm

good time to be a buyer at the moment. the postie has been to mine almost everyday!