Decent Minor half shafts for sale

You can use this area to advertise parts.
acrobinson
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Decent Minor half shafts for sale

Postby acrobinson » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:21 am

Hello folks.

I'm selling a decent pair of standard Minor half shafts that I had taken out of my car last week to be replaced with some toughened ones.

Here's the Ebay Lisiting:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264767838524

Hope of interest to y'all.

Keep safe.

jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Decent Minor half shafts for sale

Postby jagnut66 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi,
I read your advert and have to say 'well done you' for identifying which side they came from. :D
I bought a high top radiator online from someone stripping an early Minor, when I went to pick it up we got chatting (nice chap) and he offered me the opportunity to buy some other parts he had removed, unfortunately he had removed both the half shafts and just put them to one side without labels, so no-one had any idea which side they came from and therefore which way they were handed, after years of use............
This guy worked in a small garage and no one had stopped and pointed this out to him whilst he was removing them.
I bet he's not alone in this, so it is a point worth noting, they need to be labelled near (passenger) side and off (drivers) side when removed.
I believe if they are put back on the opposite side to where they were removed from they can fracture.
(Another point here: Brand new ones are not handed, so can be fitted to either side, they become handed through use.)
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2 on axle stands needing more welding......

acrobinson
Minor Friendly

Postby acrobinson » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:39 pm

Thanks, Mike,

I was also careful not to mark them "left" and "right" as I've seen folks do in the past and then get confused which direction they are looking at the car from! Ooops. So very clearly "Near Side" and "Off Side" and hoping they don't go to the States!!

Yes, you're right, they can easily fracture after being fatigued in the same direction for many years if reversed, and are not sided as new items as they are then "identical".

Just hope they are installed the correct way after all this.
keep safe

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Postby philthehill » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:55 pm

Put a RED (port) cable tie on the half-shaft for the left side (N/S) and a GREEN (starboard) cable tie on the half-shaft for the right side (O/S).
Unless you cut the cable tie it wont be going anywhere.
Just done this with a pair of torsion bars for future reference.

acrobinson
Minor Friendly

Postby acrobinson » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:16 pm

Still available:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264783798682

Hope of interest. :D