Suspension upgrade parts

You can use this area to advertise parts.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Suspension upgrade parts

Postby philthehill » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:46 pm

May be of interest:-

Owen Burton upgrade parts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Minor ... SwHEZfAd3y

Monty-4
Minor Fan

Re: Suspension upgrade parts

Postby Monty-4 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:48 am

Interesting - how do the front dampers mount?
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.

simmitc

Postby simmitc » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:49 pm

There's a bracket that welds to the outside of the inner wing, at the end of the crossmember where the original dampers mount. The rear arm from the torsion bar to the trunnion had a stud fitted onto which the damper connected. I have seen clamps that wrap round the two pieces of arm, but I prefer the stud welded to the casting.

Monty-4
Minor Fan

Postby Monty-4 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:12 pm

Thanks simmmitc! Interesting, I can't imagine trusting the inner wing with that load personally but I am quite ignorant in these matters.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:55 pm

The Owen Burton front damper kit is all bolt on - no welding required. See fitting instructions which are shown in the listing.

The bottom fixing is bolted either side of the lower suspension arms with the damper lower end clamped between the plates.

The top mount uses the damper mounting bolts with a slot cut in the inner wing to allow fixing of the rear mount plate.

A good conversion but very basic but it was better than anything else available back in the day.

The anti roll bar and rear damper kits are good. The rear damper kit is similar to the ESM kit currently available and which I believe is derived from the Owen Burton kit.

If the seller was closer I would be after the parts especially the anti-roll bar which is a re-shaped Ford item.

Phil

simmitc

Postby simmitc » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:44 pm

I stand corrected, it looked like a kit that I fitted, but that was all welded. Because it went onto the end of the crossmember it inflicted the same loads as would have been experienced by the standard dampers, in fact probably less as the original dampers are still there to take top trunnion, and the damper is straight up and down.

welltravellered
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Postby welltravellered » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:57 pm

Out of interest, which Ford did the anti roll bar come from?

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:07 pm

Ford Cortina Mk 3.
Three diameters to choose from:-
16mm, 18mm & 20mm.

Owen Burton Services Marina to Minor 2nd edition gives all the details.

The Morris Minor Modification Manual (available from ESM) does not include the above details/references.

Murrayminor
Minor Fan

Postby Murrayminor » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:37 pm

That's the suspension kit I bought last week.

It will require new dampers and bushes but the kit is complete.
I have yet to measure the anti roll bar but again it's a complete kit for the minor.

The rear dampers are angled at almost 45 degrees so not the best, they may be modified in due course.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:21 am

I would give those rear dampers/kit a go as is before doing any modifications. They work better than you may think.

Murrayminor
Minor Fan

Postby Murrayminor » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:14 am

philthehill wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:21 am
I would give those rear dampers/kit a go as is before doing any modifications. They work better than you may think.
There appears to be two camps on the effectiveness of the rear damper kit, never having driven a Minor with the kit fitted I cannot comment but I was going off what I read on another forum!!

Indeed it will be easier to fit the kit I have and try it, if I don't like it I can revert thanks for the advice Phil.

Regards

Dermot.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:43 pm

murreyminor
I have just purchased a used Ford Cortina mk 3 front antiroll bar which I am assured is 19mm diameter but could be in reality 18mm or 20mm dia. Until I receive and measure the bar I will not know.
I will have to re-shape the bar to get it to fit the Minor but if Own Burton can do so can I. :D
Watch this space.
Phil

Murrayminor
Minor Fan

Postby Murrayminor » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:20 am

philthehill wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:43 pm
murreyminor
I have just purchased a used Ford Cortina mk 3 front antiroll bar which I am assured is 19mm diameter but could be in reality 18mm or 20mm dia. Until I receive and measure the bar I will not know.
I will have to re-shape the bar to get it to fit the Minor but if Own Burton can do so can I. :D
Watch this space.
Phil
If you want I can send you the one I have here so you can measure/compare when you are done send it back.
I also have the fitting kit instructions and dimensions if you require those.

Dermot.

p.s. the stub axles arrived, many thanks.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:00 am

Dermot
Thank you for the offer.
I already have a 1970s anti-roll bar fitted to my Minor so I can take the measurements from that.
The Ford anti-roll bar is a bit thicker. I could use the later ESM type anti-roll bar but I am not keen on the type of articulation at the point the bar is fixed to the tie bar bracket. The anti-roll bar already fitted has very good articulation but I am in the process of making it better and will most likely fit it to the lower suspension arms with a ball joint and rubber bushes in a similar manner to the Marina set up. See below.
marina front antiroll bar mounts.jpg
marina front antiroll bar mounts.jpg (242.78 KiB) Viewed 180 times
I have already got one version of the suspension arm mounts fitted which involves inserting a 9mm drop plate mounting between the thick and thin arms and using shortened Vauxhall Astra anti-roll bar links. The only down side is that you have to make new eye bolt pins, use the longer Marina lower trunnion pins and make up 9mm spacers. The steering geometry is not effected as the position of the rear thick arm remains the same. All you are doing is moving the thin arm forward by 9mm.

Thanks for letting me know about the stub axles.
Regards
Phil