Cooper S steel timing gears.

You can use this area to advertise parts.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Cooper S steel timing gears.

Postby philthehill » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:41 am

For Sale.
Cooper S steel timing gears and new chain.
Timing gear 1.jpg
Timing gear 1.jpg (905.55 KiB) Viewed 196 times
Timing gear 2.JPG
Timing gear 2.JPG (933.4 KiB) Viewed 196 times
£50 inc postage.

Please note:- The gears are covered in oil / grease stain not rust.

Both gears have the correct casting / stamp numbers on them.
timing gears 1.JPG
timing gears 1.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 190 times
These parts are now quite rare and do not come up for sale very often especially in serviceable condition.

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Re: Cooper S steel timing gears.

Postby Murrayminor » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:34 pm

Phil
Can I ask what advantage these items have over say a set of "ordinary" duplex set up from the usual suppliers/engine builders?

This is a genuine question rather than criticism.

Regards

Dermot.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:02 pm

When the Cooper S (all variants) first became available the intention was to use the Cooper S in competition work. To that end everything was made of top quality materials. The crankshaft was made of nitrited EN40 steel, the conrods of EN24V steel and the timing gears of good quality steel.
The steel timing gears were stronger to accommodate the performance camshafts used and to resist wear. Production costs over time became prohibitive and to cut costs the quality of the materials used for Cooper S crankshafts, conrods and timing gears were downgraded in line with performance and as regards the quality of the duplex down to just cast iron machined to suit. Whilst the cast iron duplex is sufficient for normal use the steel items are to be preferred over cast iron. I would suggest that the majority of performance duplex sets are steel because of the better strength and wear qualities.
Even after selling the two Cooper S sets of duplex gears/chains I still have a NOS set of AEA695/AEA696 and a steel Kent Cams duplex set which has been used on several of my performance engines and is still like new - plus the steel Kent Cams Vernier duplex currently fitted to my 1380cc engine..

I will also be selling a couple of sets of 1275cc Cooper S EN24V conrods if anyone is interested.
Phil

pgp001
Minor Addict

Postby pgp001 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:47 pm

Phil

Just a quick note to let you know that the steel Cooper S timing set I bought from you last year has been fitted to the spare engine I was building, everything is working perfectly including the addition of a chain tensioner which you sent me the drilling template for.
I am currently taking things steady and running it all in carefully, the gearbox is also a recon unit with a quiet first gear at long last. :D

Anyone thinking of buying a set of these from Phil ?
Stop thinking and get your hands in your pockets before its too late.

Phil P

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:57 am

NOW SOLD.