Wider wheels

You can use this area to advertise parts.
StevetheJeep
MMOC Member: Yes

Wider wheels

Postby StevetheJeep » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:37 pm

As a returning Traveller owner with a '67 example, which I have added upgrades (keeping the original parts) being front vented discs, vacuum servo, alternator and electronic ignition, so she stops, starts and keeps going it damp, I'm interested in putting more and better rubber on the road than the 145x14 radial Asian product fitted at the moment.
I need information on what width wheel and tyre can be fitted without fouling the standard bodywork and suspension. Do I stay with a 14" rim or fit a 13" set?? If the latter will the diameter be too different and gear it down dramatically??
Has anyone any experience with having steel wheels widened by 'banding' them?
My objective to to put more 'grippy' rubber on the road, but am not trying to make her corner like a Lotus etc.
Any practical advice appreciated
Steve

les
Minor Maniac

Re: Wider wheels

Postby les » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:59 pm

Well years ago I bought some wheels which I believe were banded, although for a Mini ( which corner better than a Lotus :D ). However depending on how wide you want to go, there are LP917 rims from an 8cwt Minor van/pickup that may suit you, fitted with 155x 14 tyres. They quite often come up for sale.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Postby jagnut66 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:28 pm

1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- on axle stands needing more welding......
1955 Series 2: Traveller: "Elsie May" -- on the road and enjoying her 'as is' for now but I see work ahead......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- driven back from Llangollen in Wales

neilmorey
Minor Fan

Postby neilmorey » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:27 am

I bought the ESM reproduction van wheels (4.5") which they do with or without tyres, they supply 155 section tyres but I got 165 fitted locally.
https://www.morrisminorspares.com/wheel ... 17-p831485

I did think about Minilite copies which seem to be a wider wheel (5.5") JLH can supply as 14" or 15" wheels and ESM do a 14" version.
https://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk/wheel ... heels.html

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/wheel ... ii-p831471

les
Minor Maniac

Postby les » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:30 am

Going too wide can reduce the clearance between the tyre and suspension uprights, depending on the offset of the rims, maybe worth bearing in mind. Looking at the Minilite copies from the link I notice they say POA, that speaks volumes !

mobylette
Minor Fan

Postby mobylette » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:11 am

I bought a set of Minator alloys complete with 165 X 14 tyres from a seller on here. I needed to fit longer wheel studs but other than that they fitted straight on without fouling either suspension or bodywork. Low speed steering a little heavier, but feels much more planted on the road. I'm very happy with them.
Attachments
Minataur.jpg
Minataur.jpg (475.11 KiB) Viewed 592 times
Minataur 2.jpg
Minataur 2.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 592 times

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Postby ManyMinors » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:49 am

There is little doubt that a Minor can look good with wider wheels fitted. However, in my experience the road behaviour of these cars - particularly in fairly standard for - has much more to do with the make, type and age of the tyres than the size of wheels. I have had 13" and 14" diameter wheels fitted to my various Minors in the past and have had a set of the 4.5" wide "van wheels" with wider tyres but honestly feel that the best driving experience from my standard 1098 Minor is when fitted with standard wheels and Bridgestone 145/80/14 tyres. I have no experience of the new Pirelli and Michelin offerings which may be a good alternative. Unfortunately, 145/80/14 tyres are now manufactured in fairly small numbers and are relatively expensive, hence it is usually cheaper to look at alternatives. A 13" diameter wheel will make the car lower geared by this will be compensated for (to some extent) by using a wider wheel and tyre size. There are tables available on the internet which will show you the comparable rolling radius of different sizes.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Postby jagnut66 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:26 pm

If the OP (or anyone else on here) swaps to Minilites they would do well to remove the tyres and store the original wheels.
At some point you, or anyone who inherits your Minor, may wish to sell it and wheels, especially Alloys, on an otherwise mainly standard car can be very much a matter of personal taste / preference.
Plus a single set of steel wheels, without tyres, doesn't take up that much storage space.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- on axle stands needing more welding......
1955 Series 2: Traveller: "Elsie May" -- on the road and enjoying her 'as is' for now but I see work ahead......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- driven back from Llangollen in Wales

StevetheJeep

Postby StevetheJeep » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:35 am

Thank you all for taking the trouble to reply, you advice and suggestions much appreciated, I think I'll leave the wheels alone and go for some Bridgestone or Toyo tyres and see how they work out. Seems the best the most cost effective potential solution.
Cheers,
Steve