Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
fablovely
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Tapping sound on acceleration

Post by fablovely »

Happy solstice season.
Of late when I accelerate I can hear a tapping / clanking noise coming from somewhere that seems to be under the car, although it's hard to tell.
Please does anyone have any ideas about what it could be?
I drive very slowly in case something drops off.
When I got back to my car the other day I noticed that some screws had been removed from the gear stick cover.
I say removed because it is unlikely that vibration would make all of them come out at once; they are something I would notice.
Could the knocking could be related?

Fab
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

When I got back to my car the other day I noticed that some screws had been removed from the gear stick cover.
Have you just had some work done on the car.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
fablovely
Minor Friendly

Post by fablovely »

No I haven't...well not for a few months and the screws weren't out after that.
A while ago someone smashed in the quarter light and got in the car. Things were strewn all over the place but nothing obvious was taken. It's possible, but unlikely, that something was taken off the car for spares, hence the tapping sound. I'm a bit concerned in case it conks out in the middle of a drive when I accelerate. :(
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

My best guess is that the gearbox mountings are on the way out or you have a fractured gearbox cross member like I had. This would allow the gearbox to wobble and potentially loosen the gearstick trim if the box moved enough to strike it.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Does the noise sound like ball bearings being shaken around in a tin?? If so it may just be pinking. You might need to get the car tuned up- timing and mixture checked and set up. Any decent mechanic (especially older ones) should be able to do this. It could be bad fuel, try adding an octane boosting additive and see if the noise goes away.

If its not that a decen mechanic (if you can find one!) should be able to work out what is the cause.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Is the oil level up to scratch ? Does the oil light come on when idling ? Could be failed big-end bearings - which rattle loudly on acceleration. Don't understand screws out of gear lever - do you mean the little screws holding the rubber cover ?? Or the screws under the cover - that hold the gear stick in the extension ?
ImageImage
fablovely
Minor Friendly

Post by fablovely »

Little screws. Have tightend them. Rattling / tapping sound not like ball bearings. More like something swinging and hitting quite fast. Drove car today. If I accelerate at a snails's pace then no tapping. Lucky I drove like that because my brakes failed coming up to a junction (foot went down to floor) and car only just managed to stop inches from us being squished and in an accident! It's all happened at once. Looks like it might be the end of my Moggy :cry:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Obviously brake fix is top priority - always check brakes operation when setting off - to make sure they are ok well before you need them !!
ImageImage
fablovely
Minor Friendly

Post by fablovely »

bmcecosse wrote:Obviously brake fix is top priority -
Absolutely.
Does anyone know of a Moggie fixer in the West London area...Shepherds Bush or thereabouts?
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Doesn't have to be a Moggie fixer- just a decent "old boy" style mechanic. Ask around at your local branch at the next meeting for a reccommended mechanic.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The nearest to you that I know of is Minor Mania in Mill Hill
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
fablovely
Minor Friendly

Post by fablovely »

Thanks K. Unfortunately Mill Hill is a bit of a trek.
Is it possible that it could just need brake fluid?
Please can you tell me where the brake fluid container is located?
HarryMango
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by HarryMango »

The brake master cylinder is inside the chassis leg between you and the brake pedal. If you pull the carpet back you should see the cap. Take this off & you can see how much fluid is inside. It should be 1/2" below the top.
If you have lost fluid then there is a leak somewhere.

Rog
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

Under the driver! Lift the carpet in fron of the seat. You will see a panel with a hole in. In the hole is a lid with a hexnut on the top. Just unscrew this with a 13/16's socket or spanner and fill it up to the bottom of the threads on the filler.
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

[quote="fablovely"]Please can you tell me where the brake fluid container is located?[/quote]

Assuming a standard braking system.
Lift the carpet from the floor on the driver's side, in front of the seat. You will see a rectangular plate with a hole in it. There should be a hexagon showing which is the filler cap. Clean around the area and remove the cap, it unscrews. Look inside the "hole", a torch might help. The fluid should be about 1/2" below the bottom of the hole. If it has run out of fluid there's a possibility the braking system has air and needs bleeding. Check the whole system for leaks if possible if that's the case. If there's nothing visible externally then it could be leaking from the master cylinder (which also contains the fluid added through the hole. (all in one) If so the chassis leg under and around the master cylinder will be wet with brake fluid.

Good grief, you've got to be quick on here. :o :lol:
fablovely
Minor Friendly

Post by fablovely »

:)
Many thanks
:)