Temp gauge going to 0 when car idling...

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
badfelafel
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Temp gauge going to 0 when car idling...

Post by badfelafel »

Uh oh - I was so pleased when I connected my temp gauge and it seemed to work, going up when it should and down when it should.

But as of this morning, when I'm idling it sinks back to Cold, and as soon as I move off it goes back to where it was.

I'm guessing that after all I didnt wire it up properly...

any ideas???

Barry, Miriam, Ellie, Maia and the Morris
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

You did use the feed from the voltage regulator didn't you?
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

chrisd87 wrote:You did use the feed from the voltage regulator didn't you?
That'd be my guess too - Unless he did indeed, and the regulator has packed in.
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Post by Rob_Jennings »

poor water circulation? if no water is in contact with the sensor it can give all sorts of strange readings, check water level and possibly the water pump as that might explain poor/no flow at idle speeds, otherwise regulator or even earthing to the block of the sensor
Rob
Lizzy 1970 Morris Minor Traveller and Noah 1969 Morris Mini Traveller
ImageImage
badfelafel
Minor Addict

Post by badfelafel »

Ok heres an update...
it was working nicely. I (think *grin*) that I used the voltage regulator, at the back of the speedo.
Only recently has it started occasionally showing 0.
Now it works only intermittently (went to 0 when I was a mile from home and stayed there!)

At the same time my intermittently working indicators stopped working completely this morning - but the temp gauge was still mostly working until later this afternoon -

Don't know if the 2 are connected!

But suspect its something to do with the voltage regulator...
Maybe I should get one of those little stabiliser boxes - anyone know where?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Sure it has enough water in the rad ?
ImageImage
Willie
Minor Legend

reading

Post by Willie »

The fact that the indicators also stopped working rules out the voltage stabiliser unit as the culprit as the indicators are not fed through it. but the regulator and indicators ARE fed from the same fused supply(the fuse with all
the dark green wires on it. The next time you get this fault then immediately
check to see if the fuel gauge, heater fan, or windscreen wipers have also
packed up. If so, then check the aformentioned fuse and all the connections
to it. It is very common for the two fuses to cease to make good contact
with their holders and they should be periodically cleaned to stop this happening.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

badfelafel wrote:Ok heres an update...
it was working nicely. I (think *grin*) that I used the voltage regulator, at the back of the speedo.
Only recently has it started occasionally showing 0.
Now it works only intermittently (went to 0 when I was a mile from home and stayed there!)
So, no power going through it then.
At the same time my intermittently working indicators stopped working completely this morning - but the temp gauge was still mostly working until later this afternoon -

Don't know if the 2 are connected!
IIRC the indicators will use the same ign switched green as goes into the stabiliser, so could be a dirty contact in the fusebox, a duff fuse, or utterly unrelated.
But suspect its something to do with the voltage regulator...
Maybe I should get one of those little stabiliser boxes - anyone know where?
I posted a link to Minispares who have one that looks remakably like the original Minor type, or you can get a solid state one off Ebay for around 8 quid inc p&p. The electronic ones are better, but of course unless you find someone who builds them into the original casing they do look different. Though how much that matters when they live behind the speedo is questionable :)

If you've got a voltmeter I'd double check the power into the stabiliser first, if it's OK (should be the same as the battery, or ever so slightly less), then see if there's 10v coming out. If so, then it's the wiring, gauge or sender. If there's no power or not enough into the stabiliser, suspect fusebox first, then each connection from box to stabiliser. If there's power in and no power out, chuck the stabiliser and buy a new one.
Rob_Jennings
Minor Addict

Post by Rob_Jennings »

If you want a solid state regulator, you can purchase one from an electronics suplier (eg maplin) for about 50p this is a simple 3 terminal device that requires nothing more than wires soldered to it and is available in both positive and negative versions.

The guy selling them on ebay at £5 has quite a mark up!

but from the sounds of it you have a duff fuse contact, remove clean carefully and replace should fix that one.
Rob
Lizzy 1970 Morris Minor Traveller and Noah 1969 Morris Mini Traveller
ImageImage
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

Rob_Jennings wrote:If you want a solid state regulator, you can purchase one from an electronics suplier (eg maplin) for about 50p this is a simple 3 terminal device that requires nothing more than wires soldered to it and is available in both positive and negative versions.
Electrics I can do, but electronics aren't my friend - Any chance you could point me in the right direction as I need a new one soon and was going to get an Ebay one!
The guy selling them on ebay at £5 has quite a mark up!
Not as bad as the 50p variable resistor that gets sold for 20 odd quid as a "Performance Boost" though...
badfelafel
Minor Addict

Post by badfelafel »

Went up North at the weekend (thats Scotland, not North of England!) - not in the Minor - and got back late last night. So as a late night last minute trick undid all the connectors in the fusebox, gave them a wipe, and stuck them on again. Didnt know there were so many connections in the fusebox!

Anyway, this morning both the indicators and the temp gauge worked all the way into town...

Lets see if the both work all the way home!

(PS Was glad they worked all the way in as it was very very foggy!)

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done! Oh and I checked out the Transport Museum on sunday - it's now pay to park ! BOOOO. Plenty free spaces in Park Circus though.
ImageImage
badfelafel
Minor Addict

Post by badfelafel »

Lol... theres more - temp gauge worked all the way home... indicators didnt, until the last corner that is! Then they came back *grin* just to taunt me.

Will need to do some fiddling and checking, and see why the fan isnt working while I'm at it.

I still dont like my mini fan box - but everyone says its so much better than the minor one - so not worth changing back???

Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

I have the old Smiths round heater in Phoebe and it's great now I've taped up all the holes aiming down :P It clears the screen early in the mornin' in a couple of minutes flat! The next saloon I get will be the modded one so I'll be going late mini heater in that and see how I get on.
badfelafel
Minor Addict

Post by badfelafel »

If I just rewire my mini heater - make a new earth and connect the other end to the fusebox - that should solve it? Hoping so!