Are Lockheed cylinders better than pattern?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JimK
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Are Lockheed cylinders better than pattern?

Post by JimK »

Is is worth paying extra for brand-name parts? I'm getting some new brake bits for both Trav and saloon, and I could end up spending twice as much if I buy "genuine" parts.

If it's worth the cash I'll do it, but if the difference is marginal or absent I'l get the pattern stuff.

Specifics bits are front and rear brake cylinders. Front for Trav, rear for saloon.
Last edited by JimK on Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim - New Forest, the Wiltshire bit
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Well I prefer genuine parts as they should be produced to higher spec and therefore last longer and I believe more than one spares supplier does not reccommend pattern master cylinders due to quality issues.
If you take panels like wings for instance the pattern ones are often miles out when it comes to fit, so the extra time taken to make an item fit and they do not seem as durable long term.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
paulk
Minor Legend

Post by paulk »

If you fit Pattern Cylinders then the Seal kits ESM sell are not the same so you will definatly have to replace the cylinders again next time.

Could save you some money in the very long term.

I only found this out when too late. Anyone want 3 front cylinder seal kits :)

Pattern M/c in Maude seems alright but if I had the cash I would have bought the lockheed one purely because I prefer the cap on the original.
Paulk

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b359/paulk235/DSCF0807.jpg[/img]
1959 2dr Milly
Has now sat in back garden for 5 years :(
http://www.sadmog.morrisminor.com/
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Bull Motif have special offer on gen Lockhead front cylinders at the moment - not much more than pattern, however the rear gen cylinders are almost 3 times cost of pattern. So - i would get the gen fronts and pattern rears !
ImageImage
Onne

Post by Onne »

I prefer the handbrake mechanism on the genuine rear ones. Leaves more room for adjustment.

I still have to get a (possibly) full set for my MM. I hope to have some change for 400 pounds.
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

Jim, I've sent you a PM about my experiences with pattern cylinders.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I've used both and if you take them apart you can see the differences.
The genuine cylinders should have a cup type seal which is in general more reliable than the pattern type 'ring' seal, but both are fit for purpose if made correctly.
One of the most important factors is the material quality, however as the name brand and the pattern ones could be made anywhere it is a little bit of a lottery.
Another factor is manufacturing quality and on this point the name brand ought to be more trustworthy. Out of my own curiosity i would dissassemble genuine or pattern parts before using them to see if there is any swarf or poor machining inside :(

Seal kits - yes they are generally available for the name brand items and not for the patterns. However I've managed to get a replacement seal for a pattern cylinder in the past (seal was cut on a new rear cylinder - my own fault)
For 'old' cylinders it is possible that the lip of the seal has worn a lot but usually (by this time) the cylinder is ready to be replaced anyway!
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

Thanks for the information folks (including the PM from Chris).

BMC, do you have a link to the special offer from Bullmotif? Their website is a total abortion (and why I don't usually buy from them) so I couldn't find it.
Last edited by JimK on Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

yeah the only difference is you cant reuse them with new seals. Mine are pattern at the front OK after 3 years. The pattern master cylinder is a bit bigger than the genuine part (orignal not avalable) but it works OK.

57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

JimK

http://www.morrisminorspares.net/offers.php

You have to be registered and log in to access the special offers page.
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

57traveller wrote:You have to be registered and log in to access the special offers page.
So to access the page with the prices that are most likely to make you buy from them, you have to give them your name and address? Interesting tactic - I wonder if high street stores have thought of restricting access to January sales to people who hand over their details?

There'd better be a "Do not use my details for anything, ever" tickbox on that page...
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Or just phone them - always found them very helpful and fast 'next day' service. The one time I ordered via the net - it took a week for the bits to arrive.
ImageImage
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

JimK wrote:
57traveller wrote:You have to be registered and log in to access the special offers page.
So to access the page with the prices that are most likely to make you buy from them, you have to give them your name and address? Interesting tactic - I wonder if high street stores have thought of restricting access to January sales to people who hand over their details?

There'd better be a "Do not use my details for anything, ever" tickbox on that page...
Sorry I bothered now :-? :cry:
JimK
Minor Addict

Post by JimK »

57traveller wrote:Sorry I bothered now :-? :cry:
Apologies, it was not a good reply to an offer of help.

It still seems like an odd thing for them to do, but I'm sorry I reacted to your post like that.