Fuel Mixer by making air intake airflow turbulent???

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
grahamt7
Minor Fan
Location: Manchester (nee Glasgow), UK, Missionary Worker (Scotsman living in England since 1990)
MMOC Member: No

Fuel Mixer by making air intake airflow turbulent???

Post by grahamt7 »

Hi,

http://www.ecotekplc.com/cb-26p.htm

Can I have a few thoughts on this please. It's a device that claims to make the airflow going into the engine turbulent, and therefore causes a finer mixture of petrol and air, giving smoother and quicker accleration, eliminating flat spots, making for smoother tickover. Also claims to achieve better combustion, being cleaner on the engine and give between 10-15% better mpg.

There are video links on the site too. They claim it can be fitted to any vehicle whatsoever...on the video it looks an absolute doddle to fit.

All thoughts welcome, particularly if anyone has one.

Thanks.
Graham.
MMOC 63699, Free Radical "Say it and be damned!"
Scarlett, 67 2-door OLD 992E - until 22nd July only
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 3.0 Diesel
2010 Chrysler 300C 3.0 Diesel
1994 Volkswagen Golf 1.8I - 33,000 miles
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Well I really dont know if it would work as there have been assorted devices marketed over the years and none have lasted or been up to the claims made by the companies.
Its interesting that when used on a rolling road the tests were inconclusive as it is a fact to have a car set up to perfection the rolling road is the best way.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Like all these wonder products, the big manufacturers would bolt them onto every car they built if they were really effective. As they don't I'll let you draw your own conclusions. :roll:
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

I agree with Chris,to an extent.All cars are manufactured to a price and therefore can be improved.I run old motorcycles and these can certainly be modified to improve performance/economy.I think all these gadgets may show some small improvement but probably not worth the money and effort.Happy tinkering!!John.
Power to your Pistons,Johnnydoome.
Johnno
Minor Fan

Post by Johnno »

As an aside to my previous post,back in my distant past (dim),I experimented with water injection straight into the inlet manifold,with good results.So I think improvement can be made.As for the turbulence bit,myBSA gold star has a fairly large step in the inlet tract,to create just that,and removing the step to smooth the flow,.in a different head resulted in less power
Last edited by Johnno on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Power to your Pistons,Johnnydoome.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I would think that the air filter and housing as fitted standard to your car will do the same thing. Spend the money on rust proofing instead!
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Ah yes, keep the air moving and the fuel in suspension while it crawls along the wide inlet passages of 16V engines. A way to increase torque to overcome the inherent problem of medium-revving a 16V engine.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
Willie
Minor Legend

fuel flow

Post by Willie »

It is a well known theory that NOT having perfectly smooth bores on the
inlet manifold could produce a 'mixture flywheel' which would ensure a more thoroughly mixed mixture. The water injection too was a popular
idea some time ago and would work of course as it produces a denser
mixture i.e. most cars go better in damp weather. I remember the claims
of one user who said that any hill which required third gear could now be
climbed in fourth.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
Robins
Minor Fan

Post by Robins »

A friend of mine fitted one to his Laguna about 4 years ago and claimed it made a very noticable difference, he would have fitted one to his mini but someone wrote that off before he had chance. Basically he must have thought it was worth the money to have the intention of buying a second one. The company has been around for some time, and I'm sure if they weren't any good then word would get around putting them out of business after this many years. And as quoted from their website:

(Q) Does the device carry a guarantee?

(A) As well as being designed to fail-safe, in the unlikely event of mechanical breakdown the Ecotek CB-26P carries a two year product replacement guarantee, plus a no quibble 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee provided by the retailer.

So there you go, if not satisfied just send it back.
cheers, Daniel
[img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/becky%20web%20pics/20052.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.daniel-robins.co.uk/archie/10107.jpg[/img]
The pulling power of a Turbo Diesel! The voices may not be real, but they have good ideas.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Amazing - this will save the world and reverse global warming. NOT !
ImageImage
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

A friend of mine fitted one to his Laguna about 4 years ago and claimed it made a very noticable difference,
I dont mean to be picky but why didnt you fit one.

Also to quote Vizards book after much testing on our beloved `A` series engines over many years the best way to increase airflow is to fit a K & N air filter.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
grahamt7
Minor Fan
Location: Manchester (nee Glasgow), UK, Missionary Worker (Scotsman living in England since 1990)

Post by grahamt7 »

the best way to increase airflow is to fit a K & N air filter.

Hey Kevin, reference the fitting of a K&N Air Filter and cross-pollenate with my need for some Morris-specific mechanical training... :cry:
Graham.
MMOC 63699, Free Radical "Say it and be damned!"
Scarlett, 67 2-door OLD 992E - until 22nd July only
1994 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 3.0 Diesel
2010 Chrysler 300C 3.0 Diesel
1994 Volkswagen Golf 1.8I - 33,000 miles