Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Peetee
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Tight trunions.

Post by Peetee »

I have a set of front suspension legs from another car which are complete with trunions. they turn very smothly with no binding or slop in any direction. Strangely though, the threads on the legs appear quite worn - that is they resemble a regular two faced screw thread rather than the happy flat-top threads you see on new legs.
I have heard of re-cutting legs to give them a new lease of life. Are these matched to trunions with tighter threads? Could that be waht I have here?
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I believe undersize trunnions are/were made to fit on worn legs - and yes I believe also some 'recondition' legs by re-cutting the thread. If they are nice and firm - just use them !
ImageImage
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

There was a set (left and right hand thread) of 15 thou undersize dies (or is that dice?) on ebay a few months ago, marked with correct BMC part number, the seller advised they were Draper. I nearly bid for them, no one else did. The reason I didn't was because after checking with some suppliers it would appear that the undersize trunnions aren't available.
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by brixtonmorris »

I thought that the recon king pins had metal applied to the threads and then recut, to give the correct thread. This would alow for standard trunnions to be used, of the shelf. If the king pin thread was only recut, we would have to find trunnions that match the recut king pin. This is not the case. Those recon king pins wear out quickly. the applied metal is not very wear resistant.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Applied metal - hmmm - the mind boggles.
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

There was a set (left and right hand thread) of 15 thou undersize dies (or is that dice?) on ebay a few months ago
Would you still have the sellers contact info?
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict

Post by brixtonmorris »

bmcecosse wrote:Applied metal - hmmm - the mind boggles.
http://www.gordonengland.co.uk/cws.htm
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - I know about that process - my experience with in an industrial situation is that it is HOPELESS. And for something like the threads on trunnions - well, I won't be going that route!!
ImageImage
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict

Post by brixtonmorris »

but this is how we get our recon king pins.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

The recon, resprayed swivel pins are okay if you cover low milage in a standard car. I would not suggest that these are used for uprated cars as they do not last . The trunnions available now are standard spec suitable for new MOWOG swivel pins. Not sure if anyone offers a cutting service with oversized trunnions. Don't be tempted to fit new trunnions to a leg with worn threads.

brixtonmorris
Minor Addict

Post by brixtonmorris »

:lol:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

So - does someone make NEW 'MOWOG' swivel pins ? If so - surely not ever worth going for the sprayed ones !!
ImageImage
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

MOWOG ones are available from most traders, and yes I would tend to agree with you on this one. :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Way - hey!! Agreement!! But who makes them - MOWOG was a BMC/BLMC trademark - did someone buy it out from them ?
ImageImage
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

No idea, I'm afraid, give one of the suppliers a ring :D

brixtonmorris
Minor Addict

Post by brixtonmorris »

they are all fake.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

:D 8)

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Exactly - so what's the quality control like !! Are they made from steel - or chocolate - or the tins John West rejects !!
ImageImage
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

In my experience the one's with MOWOG on, are a good product. I'm sure that the tooling is the original equipment, and I'd hope that the steel used for casting would be of suitable quality.
We have run a 1.8K powered minor for around 10,000 miles, some at very high speed on some of the countries most demanding circuits with no detriment to the swivel pins, one showing as to just how good a design these units are and two that the parts are manufactured well enough from durable material. :D