alternative to standard engine steady bar?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

alternative to standard engine steady bar?

Post by wibble_puppy »

hi, I'm absolutely positive this topic has been covered before so if anyone can find the relevant thread please can they point me towards it?

It's occurred to me, in my desultory and intermittent ponderings on how to make the van as un-noisy as possible, that a metal bar connecting the engine directly to part of the bulkhead may conduct engine vibration, and therefore noise, into the cab :roll: :-?

what do you think? :D

if this is a sensible thing to try and do differently, what options are there? - safe, and not too expensive, and no welding involved, please! :D

wibble 8)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It should have rubber bushings at both ends - and if the engine has good mounts it should have very little to do anyway, and if adjusted correctly won't transfer any undue noise or vibration. So - check the bushings - and the engine mounts!
ImageImage
pauln
Minor Friendly

Post by pauln »

There was on the market a while back an engine steady bar that was longer and mounted on the o/s shock mounting bolts. it was claimed to reduce engine judder and stress its mounting points less.
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

That was a Grumpy's kit - there was one on ebay recently.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

ah, okay, that might be the faint memory i had about this issue - cheers. was the kit any good?
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

esm do them
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

I'd keep it standard, as it works perfectly well in original form. :wink:

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

esm also sell the standard ones
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

When mine snapped and was re-welded it worked fine; however I suspected it of being problematic and ended up switching to the grumpy kit (I was wrong, turned out to be an entirely unrelated problem) - but the grumpy kit was (is) fine. It's not quite as neat looking*, so I may go back to the original mount when I clean up the engine bay.

But yeah, it works fine.

*although that's largely because the replacement-original type is rather untidily welded into my engine bay.
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

cheers for the input, guys :D

kate did you notice any reduction in cab noise when you switched to the Grumpy's bar?
gairlochrosie
Minor Fan

Post by gairlochrosie »

pauln wrote:There was on the market a while back an engine steady bar that was longer and mounted on the o/s shock mounting bolts. it was claimed to reduce engine judder and stress its mounting points less.
I have one fitted.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

nice one gairlochrosie - have you noticed any reduction in cab noise as a result? :)
gairlochrosie
Minor Fan

Post by gairlochrosie »

wibble_puppy wrote:nice one gairlochrosie - have you noticed any reduction in cab noise as a result? :)
Oh its smooth as silk, just sublime....but I agree with BMC....the shorter one should suffice, if its rubber bushes, engine mounts and also if the adjustment is right.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

did you notice any reduction in cab noise when you switched to the Grumpy's bar?
Juliet the main reason for the Kit was as used by Kate. when the original mounting snaps off behind the battery tray its quite a so & so to re-weld nicely so its just easier to replace it with the kit, but as others have said the original with good rubbers not over tensioned should be fine.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

gairlochrosie
Minor Fan

Post by gairlochrosie »

Hi, I found this on Ebay...its still got a couple of days to go.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mr-Grumpys-Engine ... 0088963833

Here is mine :lol: Image
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

thanks very much for the photo gairlochrosie! :D and thanks for the ebay link too - if only all sellers gave such detailed and (apparently) honest descriptions :roll:
gairlochrosie
Minor Fan

Post by gairlochrosie »

wibble_puppy wrote:thanks very much for the photo gairlochrosie! :D and thanks for the ebay link too - if only all sellers gave such detailed and (apparently) honest descriptions :roll:
Are you going to bid for it.... or have you already got one ?
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

gairlochrosie wrote: Are you going to bid for it.... or have you already got one ?
Well, no I don't have one.... I am trying to decide.... basically I've got the original steady bar, and the proper mounting bracket for it is still in situ in the engine bay.... so it seems a bit of an extravagance (even though it's a good price)... no one has said that switching to the grumpy's version gave them a reduction in noise from the engine bay.... you didn't say whether you had actually switched? or whether you have always had the Grumpy's type? ..... so I'm kind of pondering Image
gairlochrosie
Minor Fan

Post by gairlochrosie »

Kevin wrote:
did you notice any reduction in cab noise when you switched to the Grumpy's bar?
Juliet the main reason for the Kit was as used by Kate. when the original mounting snaps off behind the battery tray its quite a so & so to re-weld nicely so its just easier to replace it with the kit, but as others have said the original with good rubbers not over tensioned should be fine.
As Kevin has already said: when the original mounting snaps off....its easy to use this kit as a replacement.....However, there is nothing wrong with the original one, as long as the rubbers are in good order and the adjustment is correct......stick with the original one, till it snaps off...then consider this....good standby tho...just incase. :wink: