alternative to standard engine steady bar?

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by wibble_puppy »

thanks, again - yes I took on board what kevin said (as ever :wink: ) and I fully understand that that is the reason behind the Grumpy kit.

I was just trying to find out whether it had an additional "side-effect" of reducing engine noise, or indeed - going back to my original post - whether there were other things one could do about the original steady bar to reduce the noise of the engine, as heard in the cab.

Obviously I'm supposing a starting point of a properly adjusted bar, with nice springy rubber mounts all over the shop. What I've been talking about is possible improvements to that sytem - things one could do other than making sure that the steady bar was operating optimally.

my ponderings on the Grumpy kit had reached roughly to your conclusion, "good standby tho...just incase" - sounds about right :) though if my theory that a bar running from the engine to the bulkhead does conduct engine noise to the cab is correct, then it looks to me as though the Grumpy's kit would do so just as much as the original bar.

It doesn't look, or sound, from any posts so far on this thread, as though the Grumpy's kit would in fact help lower cab noise.

SO:

anyone got any thoughts about:

1. whether the steady bar (properly adjusted etc etc etc) does conduct noise to the cab

and, if so,

2. whether there is anything one can do about it?

*pauses for breath* :wink:
Willie
Minor Legend

steady

Post by Willie »

NO, if the steady bar is properly fitted with good rubbers then there is
no metal to metal contact so it will not conduct noise into the bulkhead.
If the bar is too loose or badly adjusted it can allow the exhaust system to hit the body in at least two places. The resultant noises could be bad for your health!!
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Agreed. Think you're barking up the wrong dead horse with this one :D
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

roger - noted - thanks guys 8) (and thanks for the grin Big Man :D )
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

Bit late, but I can say, no - there was no significant change in noise level in the cabin post fitting of new bar.
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

cheers, Kate :D
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

wibble_puppy wrote: if only all sellers gave such detailed and (apparently) honest descriptions :roll:
I must wholeheartedly agree and can confirm 100% honesty in the description. :wink:
picky
Minor Addict

Post by picky »

wibble fitting some soundproofing material around the inside of the bulkhead will significantly quiten things down. with soundproofing you get what you pay for, and the more expensive stuff will deaden sound better. but having said that, even just some old carpet or something put behind the bulkhead will reduce noise, think of how many holes there are in the bulkhead for wires etc allowing sound straight from the engine into the cab.
1969 Four door Saloon Old English White 1275 with ported head and HS4 carb. Wolseley 1500 front brakes. Currently off the road with a leaky master cylinder!
Shawn
Minor Fan

Post by Shawn »

Here's mine. It's a homemade variation on the Grumpy's theme, made from un-related rear suspension parts from our local wreckers. It too makes no difference to the inside noises.
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b322/perrys/MinorSig.jpg[/img]
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

shawn that looks a clever solution 8)

thank you picky :D i shall certainly be looking into soundproofing as you suggest. What's the best type? I've been nosing around the Noisekiller website http://www.noisekiller.co.uk/sound_proo ... hicles.php