Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ndevans
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Rear suspension U-bolts

Post by ndevans »

Help! I'm trying to get the rear suspension u-bolts off to replace the rear springs. The problem is I can't get a spanner to fit the nuts.
9/16" is too small & 5/8" and 11/16" are too big. I've measured the nuts across the flats with a vernier caliper & they seem to be around 78/128" :o . The nuts are old & rusty but not badly deformed. Any suggestions before I get the evil mole grips out? :D :D . Cheers, Neil.
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
gairlochrosie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by gairlochrosie »

either use a cold chisel ( smack the nut on the edge, to split the nut...as I had to do when I replaced my springs last month) or grinder to remove them and replace them with new U bolts and nylon lined nuts.
Last edited by gairlochrosie on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

I think they're 5/16" Whitworth (BSW).
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

Yes, 3/8" BSF thead size - 5/16" Whit spanner size.
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

Theyre most likely some WW size or other.

But as a 9/16" is too small, and a 5/8" too big, why not try a hex (6 sided) 15mm socket? 9/16" is a little bigger than 14mm, and 5/8" is around 16mm, so 15mm is nicely in the middle :)
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

I've just got round that problem myself by whaking a 15mm socket over them then replacing them with new.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

But as a 9/16" is too small, and a 5/8" too big, why not try a hex (6 sided) 15mm socket? 9/16" is a little bigger than 14mm, and 5/8" is around 16mm, so 15mm is nicely in the middle
Tried that-I wasn't happy that it wasn't going to damage the nut. I also had a socket crack in the past when using it over a slightly smaller nut.
either use a cold chisel ( smack the nut on the edge, to split the nut...as I had to do when I replaced my springs last month) or grinder to remove them and replace them with new U bolts and nylon lined nuts.
Good tip, and I have done it before. I'm not going to try it in this case as I can't get the car up on ramps now the prop shaft is in bit (another story). Call me a wimp if you like, but I don't fancy lying on my side whacking the nuts with a chisel with the car only on axle stands. I don't have an angle grinder either.

No, I think it's time the big bad mole grips came out to play. I have new u-bolts and nyloc nuts anyway, so I don't need to keep the old ones, I just don't like breaking things if I can avoid it. :wink: I'll also keep my eye open for a set of Whitworth spanners. Cheers, Neil
cheers N

gairlochrosie
Minor Fan

Post by gairlochrosie »

ndevans wrote:
But as a 9/16" is too small, and a 5/8" too big, why not try a hex (6 sided) 15mm socket? 9/16" is a little bigger than 14mm, and 5/8" is around 16mm, so 15mm is nicely in the middle
Tried that-I wasn't happy that it wasn't going to damage the nut. I also had a socket crack in the past when using it over a slightly smaller nut.
Good tip, and I have done it before. I'm not going to try it in this case as I can't get the car up on ramps now the prop shaft is in bit (another story). Call me a wimp if you like, but I don't fancy lying on my side whacking the nuts with a chisel with the car only on axle stands. I don't have an angle grinder either.

No, I think it's time the big bad mole grips came out to play. I have new u-bolts and nyloc nuts anyway, so I don't need to keep the old ones, I just don't like breaking things if I can avoid it. :wink: I'll also keep my eye open for a set of Whitworth spanners. Cheers, Neil
Hi Neil,

I had an Axle stand on the rear spring front shoe (supporting the weight of the car) with the trolley jack just under the spring..with another jack under the axle (supporting the weight of the axle)...when I did it to both sides....no problem
minor_hickup
Minor Legend

Post by minor_hickup »

What year is the car? On my 1970 saloon 5/8's" fitted fine.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

ndevans wrote:
I just don't like breaking things if I can avoid it. :wink: I'll also keep my eye open for a set of Whitworth spanners.
I hate to say it, but it IS the only answer. Been there, done that :D
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

minor_hickup wrote:What year is the car? On my 1970 saloon 5/8's" fitted fine.
It's a 1968 Traveller, first registered in Jan '69. My two 5/8" spanners definitely wouldn't go. Probably the original nuts have been replaced by some unscrupulous previous owner :evil:
cheers N

ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

bigginger wrote:
ndevans wrote:
I just don't like breaking things if I can avoid it. :wink: I'll also keep my eye open for a set of Whitworth spanners.
I hate to say it, but it IS the only answer. Been there, done that :D
Agreed, but for the sake of getting the job done before the end of March I will use the mole grips.......might see if I can pick up some Whitworth spanners in Brighton on the 1st. 8)
cheers N

Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

ndevans wrote:Tried that-I wasn't happy that it wasn't going to damage the nut. I also had a socket crack in the past when using it over a slightly smaller nut.
Ah, I now pay the extra for an impact socket when I get a fastener I can't remove with what I already have. My 16mm one has been invaluable for very stubborn 5/8" nuts :)
I don't have an angle grinder either.
Get a cheap Dremel-alike. Another tool that I hardly ever use, but again, is most useful to have just in case :)

As for WW spanners - There's usually loads at the car boot sales. I picked up four or five assorted dull with age ones for a quid a couple of years ago, and even tool sellers don't ask a fortune for them (probably because they're difficult to flog to most people).
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

ndevans wrote:
bigginger wrote:
ndevans wrote: I hate to say it, but it IS the only answer. Been there, done that :D
Agreed, but for the sake of getting the job done before the end of March I will use the mole grips.......might see if I can pick up some Whitworth spanners in Brighton on the 1st. 8)
Precisely what I'd do/have done too :D
HarryMango
Minor Addict

Post by HarryMango »

Hi Neil (and everybody else)

I have loads of spanners & sockets for sale including Whitworth sizes -which ones do you want? - I have several 5/16W for the UBolts.

Rog
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

Thanks Rog, but my Dad has now found what he thinks are Whitworth spanners that were knocking around in his shed. Maybe the mole grips can be kept at bay! I'll let you know if I have no joy. Regards, Neil.
cheers N

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

they seem to be around 78/128"
Interesting measurement.
Dont forget to give the nuts a good soaking with penetrating oil to assist their removal.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

I now have a couple of Whitworth spanners courtesy of my Dad. 5/16" Whit & 3/8" BSF fit perfectly. Problem solved :) . Thanks to all for their help & advice. Regards, Neil.
cheers N