Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Squiggle
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Mobile phone / bank scam

Post by Squiggle »

Hi

I'm sure none of us would give bank details to someone calling our mobile.

But just to alert folks who might not have heard about it yet:

I had a couple of calls from a guy [not English accent] asking for my sort code and account number. He said he was ringing from 'my bank' and needed to 'wash my account' as there had been a serious problem. When I refused he got a aggressive saying I was being 'Very unhelpful'. I told him I'd ring the Police and cut him off. Minutes later a female phoned saying 'We need your sort code'. I told her the same and cut her off.

What I didn't know, Vodafone can trace the last call received and can reveal it to the Police.

Should put this in 'Off topic' but think the more people who report these scammers the better. Hope that's ok.

1952 Series MM, 918cc sidevalve, 4 door saloon in Empire Green with a matching hotwater bottle
0-60 eventually
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

This kind of thing's been going on for a looong time. They usually do it by email these days but there are still some scammers who prefer the old-fashioned ways (eg. pyramid schemes advertising via notices pasted to traffic light poles).
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
Squiggle
Minor Addict

Post by Squiggle »

alex_holden wrote:This kind of thing's been going on for a looong time. They usually do it by email these days but there are still some scammers who prefer the old-fashioned ways (eg. pyramid schemes advertising via notices pasted to traffic light poles).
Yes, email, telegraph poles etc I've been aware of for some time but seemed to have escaped the mobile phone method so far.

1952 Series MM, 918cc sidevalve, 4 door saloon in Empire Green with a matching hotwater bottle
0-60 eventually
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

Good news is a huge clampdown is on the cards. A lot of the scammers are about to be tracked and caught :wink:
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

I had an email supposedly from hotmail the other day asking me to confirm my email address and password, I spotted it as a scam right away as it was typed in what I can only describe as pigeon english! I just forwarded it onto hotmail and got a nice email back an hour later saying they had traced the account holder in Nigeria and reported it to the local police and blocked the account holders IP address from ever opening another hotmail account! What a result eh :D
mal
Minor Addict

Mobile phone / bank scam

Post by mal »

I've had the e-mail ones in the past, just printed it out and took it to the bank :wink: These people must think we are all thick :roll: :lol:

Mal
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I had a bank one this week - it was extremely convincing, written and laid out identical to the genuine bank emails.
I didn't fall for it for a second, but I'm sure someone will.

The only point of mentioning it was that even for a sceptic like myself, these things can be very convincing - no typos, used the correct style of language and not even a grainy logo picture etc... like most email scams.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
mal
Minor Addict

Mobile phone / bank scam

Post by mal »

these things can be very convincing
Agree wth you there Ray, but as my Bank Manager says, they wouldn't ask you for these details over the phone or via e-mails. but as you say, someone will fall for it :-?

Mal
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I had a bank one this week - it was extremely convincing, written and laid out identical to the genuine bank emails.
I didn't fall for it for a second, but I'm sure someone will.

The only point of mentioning it was that even for a sceptic like myself, these things can be very convincing - no typos, used the correct style of language and not even a grainy logo picture etc... like most email scams.
The biggest giveaway for me is that most of them come from banks that I dont even have an account with and I even get them at work :evil:
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Chief »

come from banks that I dont even have an account with
Ask 'em for the sum total of your account, then say you've decided to close your account and ask 'em to send you a cheque :lol:

Out of curiosity, how many of the people who get these messages didn't (or did) opt-out of their providers public telephone directory scheme?
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

The banks do stupid things too sometimes, like phoning you up and asking you for personal details to confirm who you are before they'll tell you why they're calling. Er, you called me, I don't need to identify myself.

Another one some of them do is to put their online banking service under a weird domain name like "nwolb.com" instead of their normal domain, thus making it harder to tell whether you've been sent to the real thing or a phishing site.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
UOGMoggie
Minor Friendly

Post by UOGMoggie »

alex_holden wrote:The banks do stupid things too sometimes, like phoning you up and asking you for personal details to confirm who you are before they'll tell you why they're calling. Er, you called me, I don't need to identify myself.
HSBC do this to me all the time - if i've got nothing else to do I find this quite amusing. Their reasoning is that someone else may have picked up the phone, so I tell them to hang up and ring again....
ptitterington
Minor Fan

Post by ptitterington »

Yes I was quite rude to an Indian chap who called me to ask me to confirm my bank details etc. Got a letter a couple of days later saying they were actually from the credit card fraud dep. and were worried about some strange transactions which turned out to be from someone buying phone credit using my card details. :(
Traveller rebuilt in 2007 by Charles Ware's Morris Minor Centre
Pickup Fully restored 2011 by Rich Legg

ImageImage

http://WWW.minor1000.com
http://www.morrisowners.co.uk/
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

I'm sure none of us would give bank details to someone calling our mobile.
Tax the stupid!
If people didnt fall for it they wouldn't still be doing it.

I have minimal sympathy for anyone who falls foul of these schemes these days, theres enough media coverage that everyone should be aware of the dangers.
The banks do stupid things too sometimes, like phoning you up and asking you for personal details to confirm who you are
Oh I'd love that! "Go on, phone me up and make my day punks" 8)
What would Macgyver do..?
badfelafel
Minor Addict

Post by badfelafel »

courtesy of fonejacker...

Hello sir, we need your account details as there is a pigeon in your account, and we need the number to open it and let it go...

Barry, Miriam, Ellie, Maia and the Morris
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Bank Employee says: You should never give out your account number or sort-code over the phone, if your bank does ring you for whatever reason they will normally announce themselves as being "your bank" and not a specific brand for data protection purposes and they should always ask for some kind of security information - the reason for this, as mentioned earlier is that someone else may have picked up the phone. Imagine for example I lived in a shared property and recieved the following call picked up by someone else

Bank: "Hello Mr Harris, its xxxx from xxxx bank here, are you free to talk"

Housemate "Yes I am"

Then the bank goes on to reveal lots of information to a third party which is contravention of god knows how many laws and regulations - one of my colleagues got sacked for doing that (even though it was the correct person!)

from experience
HSBC will normally ask for 2 parts of your DoB Day/Month/Year not all 3

Natwest / RBS will normally ask for DoB and the last 8 digits of your card number.

If you are ever ever unsure do not give out details. Ask the person on the phone to leave a note on your account regarding the call and ring up the telephone banking number or your branch. If they have no record, or can suggest no reason for the call then it is likely fraudulent. The other thing to consider is whether the bank may have cause to call you, eg, if you have set up a standing order, issued a change of address or anything else like that.

Always of course be aware that no bank or major financial organisation within the UK would ask you to confirm details by email, if they do contact them, and ideally forward the email on to them for further investigation.

Hope thats helpful, and helps to clear some things up for you. Any questions feel free to PM and I will answer as best I can.

Another favourite is people pretending to be mobile phone companies trying to get your information so be aware of that too!