Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stevefinn
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Jacking

Post by stevefinn »

Hi

Please for give such a basic question...I want to jack rear end of 67 saloon up to try and free stuck-on (been standing 2 years) handbrake? Thanks
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

put jack under the diff, and use axle stands under the axle
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And never ever jack the car on any part of the bodyshell (or on the 'jacking points' - front chassis members should be ok - but check them for rust first. Otherwise always under suspension points. Small trolley jack and pair of stands usually £12/15 and worth it's weight in gold.
ImageImage
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewSkinner »

why not the original jacking points?? I am assuming they are the two little bars that poke out the side of the car?? where the old style jack slots into it??
An age when roads were empty, machines were simple and every journey was an adventure!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Because even when new they had little strength - and on less than new cars ........
ImageImage
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Because they're notoriously weak and unreliable, that's why - and I don't even own a Minor that has them...
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

I took them off mine to resist the temptation,I use a scissor jack under the suspension.and a trolly jack for use at home. Don't use the side jacking points you will eventually be very sorry
eastona
Minor Fan

Post by eastona »

Don't use the side jacking points you will eventually be very sorry
Yes, I used mine once, I was very sorry. I may just grind them off.

Andrew
Maggie, 1969, 4 door, Almond Green.
And Project "Traveller"...
[sig]4253[/sig]
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewSkinner »

:oops: :oops: better not use mine again then!

I have used them allot and never had trouble? what do they do? go through the floor or just snap off?

I think the lines of a morris would look cleaner aswell without them, but will prob keep mine for originality, just not use them.
An age when roads were empty, machines were simple and every journey was an adventure!!
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

They snap off, and because of the way the jack works that means the car falls to the ground. If you're lucky they will break off when you first try to jack it up rather than when the car is up in the air.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by millerman »

alex_holden wrote:They snap off, and because of the way the jack works that means the car falls to the ground. If you're lucky they will break off when you first try to jack it up rather than when the car is up in the air.

I find it difficult to work out how the the car falls off the jack! Is the jack placed at the correct angle to take account of arc when raising and lowering?

My Minor has a reasonably sound cross-member and I always use the jack ends when applicable, so if sound use if you wish.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Really not advisable - why take the risk !
ImageImage
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

millerman wrote:I find it difficult to work out how the the car falls off the jack!
The car isn't 'on' the jack as such.

The hinged pin slots into the tubular jacking point. When the jacking point snaps off the pin hinges back down and the car falls.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by millerman »

Thanks for photo. My jack has a built in handle which make it much easier to use than the old type jack.
AndrewSkinner
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewSkinner »

Ah i think there is a bit of confusion with jacks!

I can see the problem with the original jack that Alex shows. the whole weight of the car is being levered on the jacking point trying to snap it up and off.

I think 'MillerMan' uses a different type of jack like me. I either use a trolley jack or a scissor jack under the jacking point right where it welds onto the cross member. I think this way is fine as it pushes up on the crossmember and is not trying to lever anything off.

As long as ther is a suitable cup on the jack to fully support the jacking point and stop it sliding off i think it is still safe to use.

The scissor Jack i use has a completely flat top so I welded two runners along the side, the cross member now sits very nicely in the runners and so cannot slip out and jacks up where the jacking point meets the crossmember.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As long as the Xmember is nice and solid - that will be fine. The original Minor jack is a dangerous beast - for 'show' only!
ImageImage