GPO (General Post Office ) Vehicle Register.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

GPO (General Post Office ) Vehicle Register.

Post by 1098 »

Looking to form a register for all ex GPO vehicles within the MMOC.
Would be good to make a Register of all known survivors of ex GPO (Royal Mail & Telephone ) vehicles , I guess many, if not all ? will be Minor Light Commercials. Many have been sold through ebay , some have been scrapped through lack of interest , despite them having many original GPO spec items still on them. Time to save and record as much as we can about these vehicles. There is no definitive record what went on these vehicles , many GPO repair shops would do there own thing.
The more we save the more we learn.
At my own expense I will produce two news letters each year , and hope with the MMOC's consent ? have a GPO Register presence at the MMOC National each year.
I own UXH 143 ex Royal Mail ( ex Engineers van - repairing post office stamp machines ets ) 803 cc built at Cowley , Oxford , in 1958.
Contact me on eddiefarrell@ntlworld.com or 0161 975 0118.
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Chris Stevens at the POMM (Post Office Morris Minor) has run a register like the one you mention for many years
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

Thanks for that Rusell , I am trying to do something diffrent than what Chris has done. This is all about enjoying the vehicles , helping to have some of the harder to come by GPO spec bits made etc.
Town and Country tyres come to mind. Having bought a pair on ebay , that were brand new , (stored in a dark warehouse for years) the walls cracked badly after one month. Just found three 803 engines in a barn all complete with carbs and export air bath filters , loads of link matting , and the ever harder to come by shelly jacks.
It's enough to make one weep with joy ! :wink:
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

All the best with it Eddie................ keep us posted
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

moggs222
Minor Friendly

Post by moggs222 »

I think this is a good idea and needed to help preserve the surviving Ex GPO Minor vans and help locate the missing GPO fittings for owners wanting to restore their vans back to original livery. I own three telephone vans, two are the early rubber winged versions and an early rubber winged postal van, one of only three known to have survived. Chris Stevens is your man for details of what vehicles the GPO owned but I assume this register would be more about preseving and running these rare Minors.

Count me in
53 Postal Van, 53 Telephone Van, 54 Telephone Van, 58 Saloon, 65 Pick up, 68 Traveller, 68 Van, 70 AA Van, 71 Police Car, 72 Telephone Van.........
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

Thanks to all who have contacted me (14 replys) so far , from little acorns grow big trees. Very few Scottish Royal Mail and Telephones are known to have survived , if anyone has info on any ( basket cases rotting away in fields are just as important) ex Mail or Telephone Minor vans North of the border please get in touch.
Someone phoned regarding an ex Royal Mail rubber winged example in a field in Derbyshire. Sorry , the message was not very clear due to a bad line please call again , would love to hear more.
Regards
Eddie Farrell.