Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Dean
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Dean »

HarryMango wrote:
Off the top of my head I can think of at least 3 MMOC National Committee members who run modded Minors.

Rog
Thanks Rog,

I think therefore it's just a false preconception, which is good news. I'm looking forward to my calendar.

Remember Rome wasn't built in a day.

I've been looking at the Run to the Sun website and it appears it isn't just a closed shop for VW's. The pictures suggest lots of modified classics join, it's just the Volks World mag makes a big hoo haa of the occasion. The website even says "anything goes", and with 80,000 to 100,000 classic car enthusiasts from all over Europe attending.. that is one hell of an advert!!!!
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

that still wioll not get the answer people want as the younger ones will have cars or be there as its a vw thing yes open to others it is still know as a vw think there are meany idears on here but if you are not in with the crowd then you wont get a say
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

We aren't after a say though, just want to show other car enthusiasts Moggies can be cool. When they see them one or two may want one, hence the fan base grows a little.
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

soz mate yes yes but isnt this ment to get young blood in to liking them yes yes it may work could work but yet again it will be all the ones that look good not the ones that sit out side a bit tatty at the edges and on the road all year no matter the weather but it could work yes its true my hat off to you dean
please dont forget times are starting to get hard and things will have to give, i think its going to come down to soon that it will have to be local clubs to sort things out. i know for a fact i will not want to spend out £40 to £80 for fuel to get down there not at these times
but it could work powers to be must see what is happing out side and do local ones there are a lot of good idears like garndad said to me BYPASSED
but give it a go
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

There will always be moggy enthusiast such as people of our ilk. Some look for concourse perfection, some everyday drivers, some permanently sat on axle stands on driveways or in garages with owners getting their hands dirty every weekend.

Thats what youngsters turn into.. the likes of us, but we have to catch their eye first. ;) So we need to get the moggy into "their world". A calendar in practical classics is the start.

Any idea shouldn't be overlooked and as the MMOC has a custom and modified register I can only elude any work done by them to get youngsters on board will be endorsed by the MMOC.
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

As to who said MMOC don't like modded Minors, not as far as I know I think the club is open to every type of Morris

Run to the sun is not strictly VW so if we could take Minors up there ( I wish!!) ppl can resemble the Minor to a Beetle and might be interested in giving it a go!

My whole idea is that usually youngsters are attracted to modded, cool vehicles, when they discover that they like a car the buy one in standard form usually with intention to modify until they modify they might get to appreciate the standard car, if not then so be it, they modify it but at least the interest is there!

moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

yes yes dean true i am not saying any thing about lee or the like that WILL get things going on that side of life i aswell as some others like grandad have came up with idears and that are on here but will not be looked in to as we are in in the click if you know what i mean
soz to any one that sees my point and sides with me and others on here but the truth for some folk it hurts
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

well by click is the only way I can pass a message to u or the club!! unless it's snail mail! lol

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

FrankM83 wrote:
My whole idea is that usually youngsters are attracted to modded, cool vehicles, when they discover that they like a car the buy one in standard form usually with intention to modify until they modify they might get to appreciate the standard car, if not then so be it, they modify it but at least the interest is there!
You've sold me that idea, some of the other youngsters on the forum have similar ideas.. which is good.

moggyminor16 wrote: i aswell as some others like grandad have came up with idears and that are on here but will not be looked in to as we are in in the click if you know what i mean
I don't know, I've only been a member of the MMOC for two weeks. I am relatively new on here too, I hope what you say isn't the case as every member has ideas how things should be done and run. It's just sometimes when decisions are made in life not everyone can be pleased. Maybe take up some of your own ideas yourself? See if it brings results, if not, you know in your own mind you did your bit to help. ;)
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

true dean but being in teh army dont get a lot of time on my hands to do much but have tryed before we had a track day at work and it was asked if any one would wont to join in but nuthing at all
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

I'm sure what we a trying to do here won't be to everyones taste, I'm sure there are lots of Modified Moggy haters and purists (I'm sure the VW club has the same problem). It's the bigger picture though we all need to grasp.
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

That is in fact a reality, but I think modded helps in numbers of Morris Minors surviving, in my opinion it's better then seeing them on or under a pile of cars in a scrap yard! after all every Minor was built to be enjoyed as the owner pleases

moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

yes yes lest get out there to the tech collages and show them all bout the cars the one in norwich i have beed told they have a 2 door so why not show them each locl group can arrange a day out there on sat or somthing
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

moggyminor16 wrote:yes yes lest get out there to the tech collages and show them all bout the cars the one in norwich i have beed told they have a 2 door so why not show them each locl group can arrange a day out there on sat or somthing
Good idea. May need to be a day/evening the college is open though? Perhaps they have a mechanics/car technicians qualification going, the local club could ask to get invited when they are teaching the module. This way a club rep could give the spiel to the class.
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

toginthemog
Minor Fan

Post by toginthemog »

Good idea to take to the colleges and maybe the schools if they are doing a project on cars I got invited to take my pickup and my lambretta to an open night at our local college it was an intresting evening and I beleive the Morris got more intrest than the more modern type custom cars. It also gets me respect now with the youngsters when I go for a ride around town. Italso goes to show you cant judge them as you read in the papers.
[sig]8906[/sig]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

As to who said MMOC don't like modded Minors, not as far as I know I think the club is open to every type of Morris
At a big rally there will be some who preffer modded cars to concours and some who look down their noses at any mods - such is life! Minor owners are a hard lot to define as there are old and young, millionaires and penniless students etc... The car probably has a broader appeal than any other classic so there's nothing that will make everyone happy.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

Good idea to take to the colleges and maybe the schools if they are doing a project on cars

funny you should say that. the school im subbing in has a motor vehicle studies class and guess what i volunteered the use of to see how things work? yep good old minor. yes get them interested as young as possible.

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Some good points being made in this thread just a couple of small points.
It would seem that, if the National Committee are concerned then they must invite young(er) owners onto the Committee. If there are issues with that then they sit as non-voting members.
How would that work as the need to be volunteers and if they don't put themselves forward (which they don't sadly) they wouldn't be volunteers which is what is needed to make things work.
Is the MMOC really funny towards youngsters modding Minors?
Not at all thats why there is a register.
hello why can't local clubs do more to attract the younger genaration.
What do you suggest Grandad.
As the real problem is that most of us in the Branches are on the wrong wavelength for the younger ones.
well i have said one or two things but they just get bypassed and yes its a very closed circuit and some of us will never get in side
Any chance of explaining that, as to me it reads as though your branch meetings ignore your points of view and that they are a form of closed shop or have I misread it Grandad.
Now I have just seen this one
no not bypased more like a ring road,grandad
Well this has certainly thrown up some really good ideas but where are the volunteers to take things forward.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Ok you can all come back in now! :)

Anyone fancy doing their own little bit?
Anything they are interested in doing?
You won't have to sign your life away to the Devil... honest! :)
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

millerman
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by millerman »

"How would that work as the need to be volunteers and if they don't put themselves forward (which they don't sadly) they wouldn't be volunteers which is what is needed to make things work. "

If progress is to be made initiatives need to be taken.

Those young people on this forum need to contact the national sec to make him aware that they would like to attend Committee meetings or maybe a committee member could contact them by email with the necessary invite.

It all seems so easy :lol: