NJX 603T

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chanelle
MMOC Member: No

NJX 603T

Post by Chanelle »

Hi there,
Came across this Traveller and wanted to know if anyone knows of it? Its beige coloured, 1971 model called Lawrence. Aparently the current owner bought it at auction in 1995 and prior to this it was registered in the Morris Club (there's still a sticker in the window) but I no nothing more of it or repairs than this.
Cheers!
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

The vehicle details for NJX 603T are:

Date of Liability 01 06 2005
Date of First Registration 05 01 1979
Year of Manufacture 1970
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1098CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour BEIGE
Vehicle Type Approval null

It's likely it was a personnal import at some point or maybe an ex government car - That 1979 reg is not usual for a Minor and you won't be getting free road tax :-(
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

why not free road tax?

Provided the car is built before 1st January 1973 you are eligable

link on this page

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... DG_4022042
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Because at the moment it is registered as a 1979 car. You would have to prove date of manufacture with heritage certs etc and get it re registered. It is elligable for free tax but not as it stands at the mo....
[sig]8426[/sig]

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Th DVLA seem to know the car was manufactured in 1970 therefore qualifys on the grounds of being pre Jan 1st 1973.

The date of registration is not important according the form INF34 the only things that matter are date of manufacture and is it in one of the accepted groups, so i do not see why they would require the car to be re registered.

I would be interested in how you get on Chanelle
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

You could well be right Charlie - It was normal practice years ago to register a car for the first time in the UK relating to the year of the registration that it was been registered in, rather than the way they do it now by year of manufacture. Of course the log book will confirm its status - If it says historic vehicle then its free tax, if not, then you gonna have to pay for it ....
[sig]8426[/sig]

57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

This is an ex military (army) Traveller used abroad, hence the (Bedouin) beige colour. Autumn Leaf interior.
If the present owner is saying he bought it at auction in 1995 then I would treat that with caution.
It is an "historic vehicle"and as such qualifies for "0" VED.
I owned it briefly in 2000 and have a list, still, of the work done on it at that time. I did have some pics but seem to have lost them.
Chanelle

Post by Chanelle »

That does indeed sound a bit odd. Thanks for that 57traveller! I will discuss this with him further and see if its something I want to persue. Apreciate your help!
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

not "a bit odd" it will be a great talking point and if you go to shows people will always stop to look. I always fancied a mid 70's reg moggy after seeing an "S" reg traveller driving around cardiff
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

If the car was used by the MOD abroad, then "decommissioned" it would be brought back to this country and registered with the letter of the year it re-entered the country, hence 1979 + "T".

If you have all the relevant documents you can write to the DVLA requesting an age related place i.e.1970.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

why would you want to lose a great talking point! keep as a "T" reg please
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

I agree, keep it a "T" for the novelty value alone. Plus that is the registration post army which the vehicle was given.
It IS an historic vehicle and was registered as such when I had it taxed at "0".
The information I received was that it indeed was used abroad by the army then on decommissioning returned to the U.K. and auctioned off prior to being registered with the "T" plate it then received.
If I remember correctly there was some kind of army maintenance/service plate fixed to the bulkhead under the bonnet.
Don't let what I've said about using caution put you off if it's for sale, do some research first though. I can't think why it's off the road because in 2000 it was in pretty good structural and mechanical condition with recon engine (NOT unleaded cyl. cover), new structural steel as necessary and a lot of new wood too. Also it looked good in new Bedouin two pack paint, again not a very common colour.
Chanelle -I can PM a list of the work done if required.