Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
sloopjohnrb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

SLOW ON THE DRAW

Post by sloopjohnrb »

Hello,
I've been advised by a fellow MMOC member to try a 'windy gun' - ie hammer action gun - for a recalcitrant gearbox sump plug.

Trouble is, I have no experience of this tool at all so before buying one I need some advice.

Does a Wind wrench have an internal compressor to make the air, or does it need fastening to an air pipe-which I 'aint got.

How do they work and which one is the best for the DIY mechanic moggie owner.

I've long wanted a powerful tool like this to save hours of work and sweat, but have held back

Any advice gratefully received.
best wishes
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Yes, you will need a compressor to run it off but if you look in Aldi they sell compressors and air tools at very good prices.... You might think its a lot of money just to remove one sump plug but once you have it you will use it for all manner of jobs and wonder how you ever managed without it :-)
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

There are electric hammer guns - mine worked well - for a while ! I now have an air gun - and a compressor. Much better - great labour saving device.
ImageImage
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

Have you thought of a trip to the nearest tyre fitting establishment and asking them if they'll have a go with their windy gun? There's no need to remove but just slacken then nip by hand so you can remove at home? The car will be up on a lift then and access will be easier too. Even if they charge a tenner it will be well worth it.