Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Furrtiv
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Saving for Another Moggie

Post by Furrtiv »

Hello all, as some of you may or may not remember, I used to own 'Ector, a slightly run-down Traveller of '66 vintage. He's in a good home now, awaiting restoration if all goes well, and I'd like to get myself another Traveller, however, price is a problem - as it ranges so widely! Even like-for-like models can be wildly different in price, so I wondered if anyone here has a good idea of a "goal price" I should set myself?
My requirements for the car would be these;

Good condition, not concourse but not rough in any way, ie no rust, good solid floor, solid wood (preferebly reasonably new or very well-cared-for), electrics all working fine, etc.

Long MOT, at least over six months if not a full one.

Obviously, a good and legal history of the vehicle should accompany it.

I think, much as I love the Morris sound, I'd want a slightly upgraded engine and gearbox - maybe a larger 1.3 engine and five gears, although it's not necessary to start as I can always get a car converted. Also, if it has these things, it will need upgraded brakes as well.

The interior must be in good condition too - no rips or tears in the seats or headlining, and no door cards almost falling off! I'd prefer original seats, but will obviously require front seatbelts.

I'd also like to have a CD player installed, but if I can get a car that's already got one, I'd be very happy.

I know that this list seems long and demanding, but I've had my heart (and my wallet!) broken by having Morrises that have virtually died on me. It's like having a pet, they'll always get to you that way and this time around, I'd rather have a solid car from the get-go than a fixer-upper or a rolling restoration.
I have a figure in mind of around five thousand pounds, and it should, fingers crossed, take me around two years to save that kind of money. It may seem like I'm shooting off a little early, as I haven't got the money yet, but I would like advice on where to look to compare prices, and who might be good to buy from (I may go to a dealer this time rather than a private sale).
I have checked the owners' magazines (my old ones, at least; I intend to re-join the club), eBay, various car sites, and and that's how I've come to that figure.
Realistically, I can live without upgraded engine, gearbox, brakes, CD player, but the one thing that's really important to me is that any car I buy be solid, very well cared-for, and safe and roadworthy. I'm going to keep my Civic, so it won't be used as a daily runner, but I do plan on using it very regularly - weekends, days out, as a second car if anything happens to the Civic, etc.

Any advice would be very welcome, especially about the price, and wether I've got it about right. :)
Re-employed!:D
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i think you should get a well sorted car for that kind of money good luck.
[sig]5641[/sig]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Great to hear you're back! Get saving - you should be able to pick a good Traveller for that price. :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

5 grand !!!!!!!!!!!!! It should be close to concourse and 12 mths ticket.
Furrtiv
Minor Fan

Post by Furrtiv »

Oh that's good to know, thank you! :) Like I said before, it will take me a couple of years and it does depend on whether I have anywhere to store such a car - on-road parking isn't the best option by far for a Moggy, I do have some off-road that could easily be converted to a covered car port.
All I need now is one of those ticker measuring thingies to keep track of my saving. Got a couple of hundred so far, so still some way to go! :D
Re-employed!:D