Help with my modern

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Jefftav
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Help with my modern

Post by Jefftav »

Hi All,

Sorry to ask about a modern car but I am just a bit stuck.

I have a subaru forester and I need to replace the rear brake shoes but when I jack it up it just lifts the back of the jack up and I can't get it high enough to put a stand underneath. It would also be easier if I could get both wheels off the ground.

Would I be able to jack it up on the rear springs where they bolt to the chassis do you think? There is a central diff but I don't really want to jack up on this as it doesn't look very strong.

It has also started to make a grinding type noise at low speeds(when parking) but can't see anything seized or broken or worn out. How would I check the track rod ends for wear?

Any advice would be appreciated. Jeff
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Can't help about the jacking as I'm not familiar with the anatomy of a forrester, but theres are fair chance that the grinding noise you are getting is the rear pads anyway. I managed to wear the ones on the back of the fiesta to metal :oops: and got very similar symptoms

Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

If you don't load the car up on a regular basis it could be that the rear calipers are getting a bit stiff and sticking against the discs after slowing the car from speed. As for the jack, if there is enough room you could help by finding a stout bit of timber to rest it on to give a bit of height. Be sure to replace it with stands though as you should never get under the car with timber supports of any kind.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I believe there is a Sabaru Forester Forum. Perhaps they could help you?

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Any car with diff - that's where I put the trolley jack - including my Traveller. If you need the suspension to droop - then try jacking just in front of the rear suspension mounting point - with a stout piece of timber bewteen body and jack to spread the load.
Last edited by bmcecosse on Wed May 20, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Peetee wrote: you should never get under the car with timber supports of any kind.
Not strictly true - IF you're stuck, timber is a far better/safer alternative than brick/concrete.
MGFmad
Minor Fan

Post by MGFmad »

If its a central diff with visible driveshafts rather than a solid axle I would not stick a jack under the diff.

Is there a good area around the bottom suspension mount the get a jack in place. Ideally see if the handbook mentions jacking points first though.
[sig]8143[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well yes - I agree - don't jack the central diff! Was assuming diff on rear axle.
ImageImage
Jefftav
Minor Addict

Post by Jefftav »

Hi Guys, Thanks for the advice.

There is a subaru forum and they have been very helpful and suggested that the diff is strong enough to use as a jacking point. I have to say that I will try to avoid this as if the diff cracked under the strain it would be an expensive mistake. My mate looked at it earlier and he suggested getting the jack onto the rear chassis were the ARB bushes are fitted and then supporting it with stands under the rear suspension mounts on the chassis.

The odd noise I am getting is from the front and he thinks the track rod ends are OK but the CV joints need greasing so I have some suitable grease which I will try tomorrow/today weather and missus permitiing.

Thanks again, Jeff