Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jesst
MMOC Member: No

help - key issue!

Post by jesst »

Dear everyone

I am the very happy owner of a morris minor 1000 ( 1971,ex police vehicle) but today i did something very silly and lost my master keys. I obviously have a spare set which which are ok as far as driving is concerned but there doesn't appear to be one for the boot. Also the master keys do not have the numbers on them and as they are pretty rusty I reckon i should get a spare set cut.

Two questions I hope you can help me with: what is the bets way to locate numbers and order new set?

And: Where can i get a boot key without knowing the number?

I would be so so grateful for any help anyone can offer

Thank you so much!

Jess, Glasgow<br>Image<br>
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Hi Jess, welcome to this site!. 1st idea Have you tried cleaning your keys (chrome cleaner?) which should reveal any numbers on them.

2nd If you cannot get them clear enough to read new lock barrels can be bought from any morris supplier which will come with a new set of keys. I must admit that taking the barrel out is a bit tricky. It might be easier for you to buy a new boot handle complete and fit. If depends on how DIY you are. :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

I thought that most minor keys fit most minors !!! :lol:

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Which is why it's a good idea to buy complete new locks - at least they will be better able to withstand the 'any key fits' syndrom afor a few years! The boot key number will probably be on the lock - but to get it - you would need to get the boot open first! Try a selection of keys in the lock - and give it a blast of WD40 too. If you go down to Rattrays (12 Cornwall St) - they may well have a 'board' of keys and allow you to try them until you find one that fits !
ImageImage
Ian46
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Ian46 »

Hi Jess,

If it just the boot lock you want a key for, then if the lock can be removed from the bootlid you will find the key number stamped on the main square pivot shaft that connects the handle to the claw. It will be three numbers.

This won't help if the bootlid is locked shut.

(Rest of post moderated as the advice is not suitable for public posting. Copy sent to Jess by PM. LouiseM)

Regards

Ian
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

I think that may be a bit too much detail to be posted in public, Ian. Perhaps a mod could PM a copy to Jess and then censor it?
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Done.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
jesst

Post by jesst »

Its brilliant to have so many replies - thank you!

was just wondering where to look for my private message - it doesn't seem to have appeared and i'm keen to get the tip!

Thanks so much!!

Jess x
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Right at the top of this (and almost all board pages) page, you'll see "FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile You have no new messages Log out".
Yours shouldn't say "You have no new messages". but 1 private message or something. Just click on that, and you'll see it waiting for you.
a
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Have you got a Production Trace Certificate? That should list your key numbers.
[sig]3580[/sig]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

That's only any use if the car still uses the original keys. If, like mine, the locks have been changed some time ago it won't help.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512